Question about ORD front leaf bushings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I’m doing a little tinkering on the truck this evening for the first time in a couple weeks. I’m torquing everything on the suspension now that the truck is bearing weight on all fours. I have ORD bushings all around. The bushing in question is the main eye of the front spring. The bolt on the driver side had to draw the “cup” in quite a bit before reaching 75ft-lbs.

so I looked at the passenger side and this is what it looks like with the bolt snugged hand tight before putting a wrench on it:

You must be registered for see images attach

There is about a 5/32” gap. Anyone pay attention to this when installing ORD’s HD front shackle/bushing kit? Would the experts out there recommend putting a washer on either side of the bushing? Truck has stock K30 springs...

Thanks!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It's common to see the front hangers pinched together. If the bushing insert sleeve has knurled ends, I'd leave out any washers. But if they are smooth, washers shouldn't hurt.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
It's common to see the front hangers pinched together. If the bushing insert sleeve has knurled ends, I'd leave out any washers. But if they are smooth, washers shouldn't hurt.

I don’t recall them having knurled ends like the oem ones, but it’s been a while. I don’t think the sleeves even protrude beyond the bushing which seems odd in my head.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I don’t recall them having knurled ends like the oem ones, but it’s been a while. I don’t think the sleeves even protrude beyond the bushing which seems odd in my head.

They shouldn't protrude. When the bolt is torqued, it preloads the poly bushing and the sleeve keeps it from getting smushed down too much.

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
Little off topic but are these poly or rubber? I’ve em looking for some good bushings.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Poly

CookieSoup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
i would do washer spacers before i bend the shackes

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
I use washer on both sides. Didn't want to bend the shackles and it's easier to get the spring out of the shackle when it's nice and straight. Works since 4 years on my poly bushings.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I didn't have any problems with mine. Mine are nice and parallel.

Did you replace the front upper shackle bushing also? From what I remember the upper bushing had a very narrow shoulder on it and the leaf spring bushing was at least twice as wide.

The bushing you have on the leaf spring doesn't have a wide enough shoulder.

Or did the upper and lower shackle bushings get swapped? (I'm not even sure that is possible...)?

I'm 5,121 miles from home- otherwise I'd run outside and check for you.

You must be registered for see images

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!

Awe gee thanks for nothing ya lazy bugga.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I didn't have any problems with mine. Mine are nice and parallel.

Did you replace the front upper shackle bushing also? From what I remember the upper bushing had a very narrow shoulder on it and the leaf spring bushing was at least twice as wide.

The bushing you have on the leaf spring doesn't have a wide enough shoulder.

Or did the upper and lower shackle bushings get swapped? (I'm not even sure that is possible...)?

The issue isn’t at the shackle end, it’s the main eye bushing. On my one ton, the shoulders on the upper and lower bushings of the shackle end were almost identical. The OD was slightly different, so they weren’t possible to mix up. The shackles are perfectly parallel.

On the front main eye, the bushing shoulder is a little too narrow. The springs are whatever comes stock on a CUCV. Which is what I told ORD, I just got the wrong ones for some reason...

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Gotcha... I read your post along with one about the shackles at the same time and obviously got mixed up/confused between the 2 different conversations. Oops... That's what I get for posting past my bedtime.