Question about my truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael Wood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
350 cid. / 5.7L
I just bought this truck a week ago and don't have much info on it other than what I know of square bodies I have owned in the past which were 1/2 ton trucks and 1/2 & 3/4 Suburbans.

this is a 1988 truck and the windshield guy (needed it replaced when I bought it) said in 1988 they made both body styles which the square body ran from 73' to 87' (correct?)

So, they started the new body style in 88' BUT carried over and made some square body's too?

So are 88' square body truck kinda rare or not really?

Also, the advertisement for the truck when I bought it claimed it was and R30 which when I looked up a part number for something claimed the R30 was a Suburban....?? I am confused!

It is a 1 Ton flatbed (7.5'x14.5') Could it be an R30 Suburban frame with a truck cab mounted with a flatbed?
I was thinking maybe the Suburban frame was maybe longer which would accommodate a flatbed better or is a Suburban frame the same as a pick-up?

Had Chevy trucks off and on all my long life but never a 1 ton or a flatbed.....

I've been able to find about next to nothing about an R30 online s any help would be appreciated

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
The last year for the 1/2 and 3/4 ton squarebody pickups was 1987. Beginning in 1988, the remaining squarebody trucks (blazers, suburbans, and one ton trucks) were designated as R (two wheel drive) and V (four wheel drive). The new body gmt 400 platform trucks took over the c and k designations. Your truck may have been a cab & chassis truck to begin with. If you haven't decoded the vin yet, there are breakdowns for it somewhere in the reference library on this site.

Michael Wood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
350 cid. / 5.7L
I did decode the VIN with a Chevy site online and I got this...

You must be registered for see images attach

Michael Wood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
350 cid. / 5.7L
Here is my beautiful truck...... well maybe not beautiful but it is a hauling beast!

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Here is my beautiful truck...... well maybe not beautiful but it is a hauling beast!

I forgot to add that the blazers, 'burbans, and 30 series trucks continued as squares up until '91. Iirc, the blazers and 'burbans ended in '90, and the heavy trucks continued for another year. Or I may have that backwards. Yours does appear to be a c&c model, especially with that long of a bed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84