Quad Shocks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

richiemoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
4.3L
Does anyone else have quad shocks on the front of their K10's? My dad said he special ordered it that way, when he bought it new, for his 1 ton plow unit. When replacing them, is there anything special about it? Just use two shocks, instead of one, on each side? Safe to assume that all frames are setup for them, but only some came with the option?

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
No, they're not all set up for it. It's an option. It was available on K10s and K20s, possibly 30s. If the option was ordered there's an extra bracket on the frame for the inner shock which is longer than the regular shock. Axle brackets are the same. It just gets attached to the bracket on the axle with a longer bolt.

If you search it there are diagrams on the site. If you can't find them I can probably get a pic from my Suburban.

richiemoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
4.3L
Oh, i didn't know that! I'll have to either take them off the '86 frame and put on the '82 diesel frame, or see if there is a place that sell them. I guess i can cross that bridge when i get there. It isn't needed, but looks fricken cool!

I haven't searched at all yet, just daydreaming about the truck and surfing the forum.

Thank you for all of your input on my other questions as well!!!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I didn't think it was available on a K30? Maybe he "special ordered" the option by having the dealer install the parts before the truck was delivered.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
No, they're not all set up for it. It's an option. It was available on K10s and K20s, possibly 30s. If the option was ordered there's an extra bracket on the frame for the inner shock which is longer than the regular shock. Axle brackets are the same. It just gets attached to the bracket on the axle with a longer bolt.

If you search it there are diagrams on the site. If you can't find them I can probably get a pic from my Suburban.

RPO Z75.

Available on K10 and K20 regular cab only (ie, not crew cab, not K30).

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/do...its/Chevrolet-Trucks/1986-Chevrolet-Truck.pdf

My opinion (and only my opinion) is they were just some "bling" to coax another $128 out of the buyer's wallet. I would imagine the shock technology has advanced today such that you can get the same level of ride and front axle wind up control with a good performing single shock.

K

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L

Sidebar: relative to the discussion about RPO codes being reused: RPO Z75 is now the designation for the Cadillac nameplate conversion, ala X88 (Chevrolet) or Z88 (GMC).

That's why, for best results, you always need to use contemporaneous literature when researching RPO codes, rather than the generic online decoders.

K

richiemoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
4.3L
It might only be an option for Bling, but i'm sold on it looking cool, and different than others... Putting a plow unit meant for a 1 ton truck onto a half ton, was my dad's reasoning. I thought he said he ordered it this way from the factory, but I could be mistaken. I know my grandma worked for GM at the time(now retired from there), so he got a pretty good discount! Ugh, can't wait to drive it around again!!!!

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
My opinion (and only my opinion) is they were just some "bling" to coax another $128 out of the buyer's wallet. I would imagine the shock technology has advanced today such that you can get the same level of ride and front axle wind up control with a good performing single shock.

K

You're probably 100% correct, but I'm with Richie. They just look too cool.

And only $94 on a C6P. I wonder what that's about.

Maybe the bump stop was part of the C6P chassis? The pickup is a C6P, it has the stop and it's not a Z75. The Suburban (no C6P on a K10) has one, but it had the Z75 option.

Westislander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gregg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have a 1986 frame with quad shocks I bought for my K10.... you can see the mounts at the front of this picture

Nonstop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
I added quad shocks when I took off my front sway bar, hoping it would help with any body roll. I did not notice much difference with them. I took them off when I put the front sway bar back on. It actually rode better without them. But that reminds me, it is about time I take the brackets off the frame!

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Why? As my grandmother would have said, they're not eating any bread.

Or, go ahead but don't throw them out. Post them for sale here. I'm sure somebody would want them. If I didn't have a set waiting for me I'd buy them.

FWIW, I know it's kind of apples to oranges but I always felt the Suburban with the quad shocks damped oscillations better than the pickup truck with duals. However, part of that could be the front weight bias of the pickup.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Just throwing this out there, if my truck had dual shocks I’d keep them for the bling factor lol. You could even use two softer valved shocks for a better ride. If nothing else, I’d say that the shocks would last longer with each one doing half as much work as a single setup.

SrMousse

Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
My 91 burb has quad shocks. I just swapped in procomp 9000 shocks, front and rear, but man, the ride is now pretty stiff. What are you guys doing to soften the ride a bit?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Just throwing this out there, if my truck had dual shocks I’d keep them for the bling factor lol. You could even use two softer valved shocks for a better ride. If nothing else, I’d say that the shocks would last longer with each one doing half as much work as a single setup.

Bling.Factor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linemanjl