Q-Jet is rebuilt, but has a bit of seeping/leak on top of carb..??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
Gent's, I have a little issue here that I cannot seem to figure out!

My dad re-built the carb for this 455 in my truck, and it works great and performs well. However, there is a bit of a leak here at the top.

This carb was tore down to nothing, everything checked/cleaned/blown out, float set (original plastic float), new gaskets...etc. the list goes on. Re-build kit is from Napa.

I too also took the top half of the carb off to check it out and installed a new float (brass style), set it to 1/8" below carb body (was at 1/16") and I am still having this leak going on here by the pump stem it seems, which is also new stuff.

Anyone dealt with this, or could maybe point me in the right direction of what to do?

You must be registered for see images attach

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Just set the float 1/8"- 3/16" or so lower. The accelerator pump area is filled from the float bowl.

Assume the fuel pressure isn't too high?

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
You got the truck running? How do you like the rompin stompin 455?

I would agree, the float sound like it’s a little high.

Where fid the overhaul kit come from? I remember reading on other automotive forums years ago people were having a hell of a time with rebuild kits having rubber parts and gaskets not compatible with the crappy ethanol gas we have to deal with. They would rebuild a carb, it would be fine for awhile, until the rubber swells or disintegrates. Hopefully this isn’t the first symptom of that happening.

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
Just set the float 1/8"- 3/16" or so lower. The accelerator pump area is filled from the float bowl.

Assume the fuel pressure isn't too high?

I will do that! The setting was suggested at 1/16" below deck of carb, but watching a video from one of them there car show/tech videos they said to set at 1/8" so I did.

I will set the float a bit lower and see what happens.

Fuel pressure, it is a mechanical pump (Carter brand/Napa purchase) so it is 6 to 7lbs of pressure.

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
You got the truck running? How do you like the rompin stompin 455?

I would agree, the float sound like it’s a little high.

Where fid the overhaul kit come from? I remember reading on other automotive forums years ago people were having a hell of a time with rebuild kits having rubber parts and gaskets not compatible with the crappy ethanol gas we have to deal with. They would rebuild a carb, it would be fine for awhile, until the rubber swells or disintegrates. Hopefully this isn’t the first symptom of that happening.

Oh man, this Old's has really come to life, check out my build thread for some video's of it running and I also mention the "test drive" I just had to do....she has some pep! Can't wait to get it on the road.

I will get that float lowered a bit more!

Overhaul kit, that came from Napa, and the carb had this weeping/leak issue from the get-go, so I don't think enough time for anything to go bad on it.

I am now on my 3rd fuel pump, and it better damned work!! My original pump took a crap on me, so I put a new Delphi pump on it, well the steel gas line would not hand tighten to it (like my old one did), but snugged up when I put a wrench on it. Turned it over a few times, fuel dumping everyhwhere.

The Delphi pump gas inlet, I noticed that the threads were only half way down the bore so no way the fuel line would tighten up!

Lastnight I purchased a Carter mechanical pump from Napa, threads go further into bore than the Delphi, plan to install it this weekend.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Last time I needed a mechanical pump took 3 of them to get a good one. Delphi was the one that worked. Ethanol fuel doesn't help either.

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
Last time I needed a mechanical pump took 3 of them to get a good one. Delphi was the one that worked. Ethanol fuel doesn't help either.

That's a bummer. I hope this carter does the trick, plan to install either tonight or tomorrow. For the fire up and tuning of this truck so far I have ran 91 non-oxy fuel, but the cost is crazy so when I drive it I plan to run 87 in it.

I hope this pump works, really sick of working on this one thing over, and over.

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
Got an update.

The carter pump worked awesome, well worth the few extra bucks for it. I bought it from Napa so in case I had issues again I can easily return it.

As for the carb, I set the float to 3/16" below the deck however (shame on me) I measured it closer to the needle/seat area which set the front of the float WAY down. Re-installed the carb, and the engine would not so much as even pop no matter how much pumping I did. Gas however was still at the accelerator pump so I do not get it.

So, took the carb back apart and looked up where I should be measuring the float (toward back of float!) and set it to 3/16". Put the carb back on and within about 6 times of cranking over she fired up!!

I ran it until it was nice and hot and then shut it off, no fuel at the top of carb! :)

Thanks again gent's for the help on this. Even though it hurts the ears a bit, I love running this thing with the headers opened up on it :Big Laugh:

topper

Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 suburban
Engine Size
Got an update.

The carter pump worked awesome, well worth the few extra bucks for it. I bought it from Napa so in case I had issues again I can easily return it.

As for the carb, I set the float to 3/16" below the deck however (shame on me) I measured it closer to the needle/seat area which set the front of the float WAY down. Re-installed the carb, and the engine would not so much as even pop no matter how much pumping I did. Gas however was still at the accelerator pump so I do not get it.

So, took the carb back apart and looked up where I should be measuring the float (toward back of float!) and set it to 3/16". Put the carb back on and within about 6 times of cranking over she fired up!!

I ran it until it was nice and hot and then shut it off, no fuel at the top of carb! :)

Thanks again gent's for the help on this. Even though it hurts the ears a bit, I love running this thing with the headers opened up on it :Big Laugh:
I think the 3/16 is how far from the edge of the float bowl you take your measurement not the actual float measurement. The float measurement should be closer to but definately less than a 1/2 inch.