Pwr Steering Pump R&R....anyone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hey, is anyone familiar with the assembly/disassembly of the pump/reservoir? I got a slow leak on the the back of the can where the high pressure outlet fitting is. Its not the line to fitting connection, its where that fitting comes thru the can.

I ASSUME there is some kind of O-ring or crush washer that is inside the can between the backside of the pump body and can.

Anybody?

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Not sure. There is either a black or green o-ring on the hose fitting inside of the threaded portion.

I’m not much help on the actual question, but I do know that if you value your time be wary about the PWR brand at Napa. I’m picking up my third one this week.

I always followed the proper bleeding procedure. The first one whined terribly, the current one has a tendency to moan when hot, so off it comes for another. At least it’s lifetime warranty. I thought I’d be better off with a new over reman, but the reman I put in my old Ford never made noise.

The Napa premium steering brand may be better, but instead of $205, it’s $280+core. I find it odd that they charge a core on a ‘new’ pump.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I know the Napa rebuilt steering boxes by BBB aren't great either. Mine's been in only 3-4 years (probably 3-4K miles) and is leaking. Good thing for the lifetime warranty, but what a PITA!

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Mines all GM I believe. I pulled the pump out of a CUCV so it would work with the hydroboost and stuck it in a newer case with dual return lines. The newer case fits with my serpentine drive system BUT, its a real PITA to remove because I have to remove the press on pulley to access the mounting bolts. Id like to shoot the guy who thought that was a good idea. The pump sounds good ( I haven't driven it yet since the hydroboost-just driveway running on jacks) so maybe I'll get a reseal kit?

God forbid I resort to breaking out the JB Weld :boobs:

Last edited:

Poppy 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
Yes there is an o ring, my power steering pump had a small leak, but not from hoses or whatever. I wanted to keep the oe pump as there was nothing wrong with it. Bought a re-seal kit and separate the pump from reservoir, replaced all seals and o rings, and good to go. My truck is not a daily driver so time was not a major concern. I believe there is still a re-seal kit available at rock auto in ac delco trim. You are correct that the worst part of this repair is R&R of the pulley/pump.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I always buy the pump/ reservoir assembly together and hook up hoses and hang it on there. The way I roll.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
$10 kit off amazon. comes with all the o-rings. Has both style o-ring for the seal you are talking about so make sure you use the right one. Just lay them together and check the thickness.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
Hey, is anyone familiar with the assembly/disassembly of the pump/reservoir? I got a slow leak on the the back of the can where the high pressure outlet fitting is. Its not the line to fitting connection, its where that fitting comes thru the can.

I ASSUME there is some kind of O-ring or crush washer that is inside the can between the backside of the pump body and can.

Anybody?

I have a video on the process if you care to see it. Or just watch someone else on youtube. Its pretty straight forward.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
If I had a pulley puller I’d yank the pulley off one and show you the insides on a OEM unit. But I don’t have one. I can show you one out of a 75 and a 80. Two years that are firsts. First for press on pulley and first for metric fitting

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssgmike