1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Put that square to work!!!!

Discussion in 'Member Photos' started by CaliDude76, Feb 18, 2011.

1. BRetty

BRetty Junior Member

First Name:
    Franklin
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    c10
    Engine Size:
    All,

When I bought my '73 C10 back in November, my gearhead best friend is who actually went and bought/picked up the truck with my $$. He drove it straight down to his shop -- I only knew we had got it because the OfferUp ad said SOLD! We were both so busy I didn't even eyeball her until I was dog-sitting for him over XMas.

The engine, trans, mechanicals are all in great good shape, and the PO did a lot of mods, some well, others not so well. I am not a car guy in general, but my buddy had a shop and restores trucks and older cars for clients and sometimes for friends -- I have helped out with a bunch of projects -- so we planned to fix all the little stuff down at his place.

My buddy is truly mad for trucks, and he's a witch when it comes to anything with wheels. For his birthday I got him this fine LP, because it featured Isaac Hayes and Trucks, and "Truck Turner" could be a good nickname/rap-name, plus if we cast Isaac Hayes in metal it would be a bad-ass hood ornament for any truck.

[​IMG]

But, before we could get together to work on it at all, back in February some Really Bad Stuff went down on the street right in front of his place, like in his driveway. He couldn't get into his building for weeks, and really didn't want his shop and dogs and girlfriend near that area anymore, and then 2020 and widespread panic hit, so he decided to pack it in. So instead of us slowly overhauling everything on my C10, we just tightened all the loose bolts and she helped move all his stuff to storage.

A lot of stuff, this picture of one end of the shop should give you some idea. My square is way in the back, feeling short and squat, lonely amongst all the Fords.

[​IMG]

BTW, this pic shows an unexpected bonus -- she is easy to spot. Super-handy since I have never even tried to park in the narrow space behind our apt building that my roommate and I used to share, even his Civic requires complex maneuvers to get back there. So I street park usually a few blocks away. Often across from a white Checy Nova that AFAIK has never moved. One day recently I parked on my street mid-block, looked up and down and I was literally the only vehicle not black, white, grey or sparkly-beige. No worries about "Dude, where's my truck?"

First we loaded up all his tires and wheels and took them to "the tire guy" in Motebello. He had an absurd number of tires. My buddy had discovered several years ago that replacing the tires on his F500, even with used ones, would cost over $1200, so he found ANOTHER F500 on CL the poor owner had to move ASAP, browbeat the guy down to $300, then after a couple Uber rides to the local AutoStore, managed to start it and drive it back, making it before dark at 35mph, despite blowing two spark plugs en route. So an addiction began... I think he at one point had THREE F500's and an F600 in various stages of disassembly. It meant a lot of big tires:

[​IMG]

I ended up loading maybe a third of them, but with his truck we got them all in one trip. Sold them, made a little $. Look! Finally a picture of my truck doing work!

[​IMG]

This is getting long, so TO BE CONTINUED in

Part 2: "Police Chases and Oil Spills"

Lil'm, bucket, Big Chip and 2 others like this.
  2. BRetty

BRetty Junior Member

First Name:
    Franklin
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    c10
    Engine Size:
    When we left our Young Heroes, they had just dropped off a crap-load of tires and wheels and were sitting eating takeout Mexican/Hawaiian-BBQ in their respective trucks outside a Harbor Freight in Montebello. Well, there was more stuff to move....

Next (this is more like three days later...) we loaded up his supplies and tools cabinets to take to the garage he's renting temporarily. Since we were generally coming down there together in one vehicle, for security reasons, we did a real quick check of my suspension then decided to just put all the cabinets in anyway.

Yes, my truck is dropped 4.5/6 courtesy of the previous owner, after these adventures it was more like 5/7. Somehow this is not what the band WAR was thinking of in the song "Low Rider":

[​IMG]

Next we spent a few days amongst the many big trucks in his yard filling a huge metal scrap bin and pulling out the good stuff. We cut out the best rare parts like axles and transmissions that he wants to use in a SEMA build someday, and took them to storage.

[​IMG]

We had a forklift at his place, here we did not. Note that dropping a 750lb axle/differential "pumpkin" right on a C10's tailgate will bend it, but fortunately it still closes. (The "ventilated" bed liner is one from an old F250 and we had to hack up to fit my bed, btw.)

[​IMG]

It was almost a month of clearing and packing, which included him having to get all of his project cars running and driving so we could move them a few miles to another location in the middle of the night. Since they were out of registration and often missing a few safety features, I would drive blocker behind him on the freeway so my friend wouldn't get pulled over, also in case something gave out on his car and he stopped somewhere awkward. Considering the fact that my friend is black, a believer in the 2nd Amendment, and this was the same week that all the protest riots were going down here in LA, it was a little ... tense. C10 and I, we Did Some Work.

To deal with the stress on our Midnight Runs, I kept up a steady stream of imaginary CD radio chatter to myself as we bombed along the surreally empty freeway. In my mind, my handle was "Blue Goose" (*), his changed with the car:

--"Mailman" (post office jeep)
    --"Falcon" (1964 Ford Falcon)
    --"Stranglehold" (Ford F250 that had no exhaust at all so he cobbled one together quickly, it was still Ted Nugent loud, plus Stranglehold is what you need at 1:30 AM to power through.)

No pictures, but here's the song, "Convoy" which was a #1 hit in the U.S. and also maybe the first gangster rap song ever, with its trucker-gang-jargon and F The Police attitude. (Well, at least this guy thinks so. And BTW, why would you drive a truckload of pigs all the way across the country from Long Beach to New Jersey?)

Getting down to the End, it was my turn to take a questionable load. We had this 427 Mustang engine strapped and even welded down to a cart because we had to two-man move it up and then down a long driveway (with an ~8' rise and then drop in it, FUN!) at our destination.

If Bruce Springsteen and Los Lobos wrote a song together, I'm pretty sure it would be about hauling a muscle car engine around LA in the back of low-rider truck:

[​IMG]

With my view out the back completely blocked, the tiny "peep mirror" you see (that is btw directly blocked by the vent window vertical, and can't stay adjusted, and is ridiculous) was all I had to try merging and lane-changing on the 110 through Downtown, some of the most ill-planned lane-and-exit layouts in the US even when multiple exit ramps are NOT blocked by police vehicles, or when 20+ CHP units suddenly come screaming up behind you at 90+ MPH heading to the latest riot.

My speedometer and gauges don't work at all, so I can't confirm this, but my friend says I dealt with the problem by apparently doing 80-90 mph to stay ahead of other traffic and keep my 180-degree blind spot clear. Doing 80+ on a Cali freeway in a vehicle that's 6" off the ground is really unwise, the frequent 3-4" dips and humps make it bouncy sparky fun, my exhaust pipes are a little squished in some places.

But we got it all done finally, including getting rid of the ~ 40 gallons of used motor oil that came in a tank on a fleet service truck he scored some years ago, that we cut off the frame and stashed and forgot about in a corner until the forklift accidently punctured it and it was like the Exxon Valdez until we could wrestle it upright to stop it gushing.

Of course the Exxon Valdez reference went right past my friend because he was not yet born back then but he suggested maybe I meant Deepwater Horizon and then we talked about it for a few minutes and I decided that since it was pouring out a ruptured tank and not spraying from a pipe at high pressure the Valdez analogy was more appropriate so I win which means he is the one who has to go to AutoStore right now and buy 10 bags of oil-spill-kitty-litter not me.

The only minor damage happened near the end, when we were trying to push that dammned 427 engine up the driveway. With my head down trying to push, I zigged when the cart zagged and absolutely *clocked* the side of my head on a bolt sticking out from the exhaust manifold. Damn Fords. Wow that was unpleasant.

So in conclusion, I have been working on my square off and on without a lift (which sux even if the truck is normal height) or stuff like my friend's $900 Snap-on torque wrench, or unfortunately his help, since he is done with California:

[​IMG]

All of which is to say I may be asking many questions of the forum in the near future. Many thanks for the advice and info I have picked up here, it's been crucial.

BRetty

Lil'm, Derick C., bucket and 2 others like this.
  3. BRetty

BRetty Junior Member

First Name:
    Franklin
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    c10
    Engine Size:
    PS -- I chose "Blue Goose" as the name for my truck because the steering shaft/column connection is pretty loose (a subject I will ask some advice on soon) and the way she steers sometimes reminds me of the Gram Parsons' "A Song for You"

"Oh my lamb, is like a wild goose
    Wanders all around, everywhere
    Trembles and it shakes, 'til every tree's loose
    Rolls in meadows, and it rolls them there"

(And, uh, it's blue. Doesn't actually shake and tremble though.)

Big Chip and Blue Ox like this.
  4. Blue Ox

Blue Ox Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun

First Name:
    Derek
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K20HD
    Engine Size:
    6.2L
    Holy crap, a writer!

Not taking anything away from many other contributors here, but damn. Keep up the wordsmithing!

TubeTruck likes this.
  5. TubeTruck

TubeTruck I like anything fast enough to do something stupid

First Name:
    Denis
    Truck Year:
    1978, 1975
    Truck Model:
    Suburban K10, GMC K15
    Engine Size:
    400ci, 350ci
    Nothing compared to you guys hauling 2T of rock but 500lbs of DE in a Suburban with load helpers and it didn't flinch lol

20200806_124443.jpg

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    82sbshortbed, austinado16 and Blue Ox like this.
  6. One Tow In

One Tow In Junior Member

First Name:
    Dylan
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Tacoma
    Engine Size:
    4 banger
    I only signed up to this site to compliment the writing, BRetty.
    Keep it coming.

bucket likes this.
  7. RottenBW

RottenBW Junior Member

First Name:
    Ari
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C10
    Engine Size:
    Food for our horses...

FB_IMG_1597252519162.jpg

Lil'm, 82sbshortbed, Snoots and 4 others like this.
  8. Itali83

Itali83 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Ben
    Truck Year:
    1982, 1987, 1987
    Truck Model:
    K10, 'burban C10, Jimmy
    Engine Size:
    350, 6.2, 350
    2 yards of compost, 2 6’ trees, and a bed full of wood chips. Tomorrow’s project.

0AC6A0DB-D664-4D94-81A7-5CFB7443C4B5.jpeg

1DDD2991-9FB5-47B3-8313-D696684F3C33.jpeg

9. gotyourgoat

gotyourgoat Full Access Member

First Name:
    gotyourgoat
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    c10
    Engine Size:
    smokin' 305
    Am I having deja vu or didn't you have about the same load a month or so ago.

That fabric you have tied to the hood ornament would drive me insane btw. o_O

DoubleDingo likes this.
  10. Itali83

Itali83 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Ben
    Truck Year:
    1982, 1987, 1987
    Truck Model:
    K10, 'burban C10, Jimmy
    Engine Size:
    350, 6.2, 350
    Yeah, I had a similar load a long time ago that I just posted recently. Long term yard project with planting trees.

it’s a bandana on the hood ornament. Every vehicle that has a hood ornament gets one. Goes back to my dad and his trucks. Just a thing we do. I like it, it’s kind of like those crazy blow up figures at stores when they’re having a sale. Sometimes when I’m just out driving, I let it decide which way to turn.
    Ben

Big Chip likes this.
  11. wanderinthru

wanderinthru Full Access Member

First Name:
    Shakey
    Truck Year:
    81, 70, 75, 84, 89
    Truck Model:
    K 10, C 30, K 20
    Engine Size:
    Water wagon today. 20200818_092523.jpg

12. Derick C.

Derick C. Full Access Member

First Name:
    Derick
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Engine Size:
    454/700r4
    I finally got a new trailer.

20200816_105103.jpg

82sbshortbed, Snoots, ajd89 and 5 others like this.
  13. wanderinthru

First Name:
    Shakey
    Truck Year:
    81, 70, 75, 84, 89
    Truck Model:
    K 10, C 30, K 20
    Engine Size:
    Building pens with one, just as well move pens around with another. 20200825_151705.jpg

TX87R10, 82sbshortbed, Snoots and 2 others like this.
  14. wanderinthru

First Name:
    Shakey
    Truck Year:
    81, 70, 75, 84, 89
    Truck Model:
    K 10, C 30, K 20
    Engine Size:
    That work that will make a man "not hang out with the dry cows!" Oh and @Paladin , I know you noticed that new big 10 gallon water jug. Rest assured there is nothing in there but water.....some of it is in cans and has been cooked up proper with barley, hopps etc....but to a Bud man it's water.... 20200902_144823.jpg 20200903_101902.jpg The old white paint makes for a good drafting table??????

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    Snoots, DoubleDingo and Paladin like this.
  15. wanderinthru

First Name:
    Shakey
    Truck Year:
    81, 70, 75, 84, 89
    Truck Model:
    K 10, C 30, K 20
    Engine Size:
    Assume that is a round bale of hay? All of ya'lls bale up on the solid plastic?