Push button starter and toggle switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j_dog00

Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7l 350
Hey guys,
I have a 1980 chevy c10. I want to install a push button to start it and a 2 or 3 way switch for acc/on and ignition. My question is first, is anyone familiar with the colors if these wires and what they correspond with? My guess red is 12v hot, purple maybe ignition? I have no clue and i cant find a diagram that makes sense.

Secondly, I understand that the push button wires to the battery (red) and the starter wire, but which one is that? Which color?

Last, the 2 way toggle switch, which wires go to it for accessory position and the on position?

In a nutshell i understand basic wiring, I just need to know which colors are which wires so i can hook up these switches. Thank you

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
toggle switches arent rated for any kind of amperage.. Use a fuse and relay triggered by the toggle switch to power the truck and a push button to trigger the starter. For wire colors you will need to locate a diagram/schematic for your truck and trace it. Welcome btw.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
There are more than crank, run, and accessoroy wires on the ignition switch. The heavy red wire is power from the battery, brown is accessory (things like radio, wipers, heat) pink is ignition power, there is also a green wire for bulb test, orange is constant power, purple is crank, I’m pretty sure I have forgotten a couple. Keep in mind, the later trucks have multiple key on accessory feeds, and multiple ignition power feeds. The later trucks with more electrical accessory options need more power sources than can be reliably supplied with one circuit.

semperfiguy98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K20
Engine Size
If you're going to do this, please ensure that your pushbutton is in series with your neutral start switch, so that your truck isn't accidentally started while in gear. I had a friend do this and he didn't have a problem for a little over a year, then he had to let his wife borrow his car and she started it while it was in reverse and nearly ran over their dog. Just my 2 cents

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sahara