Pulling the Front 10 bolt Corp Diff Carrier..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Ok, I have a matched pair of '83, 1/2 ton, 3.08 gear K-10 axles which I have not been able to sell away on CL (10 bolt front & rear).

So I am considering embarking a full dis-assembly of both axles, keeping what parts I might need, giving one spindle away and selling a few parts.

Question - I read somewhere online that the front 10 bolt corporate diff carrier has a real tight fit in the axle housing. That it may require a "splitter tool" to slightly pry open the axle housing to allow the front carrier to come out.

Anybody have any experiences is this area, either using a "splitter tool" or simply pulling the front diff carrier as normal??

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I've heard of them being used on 14 bolts, never new you need them for the 10's. Not really surprised though.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Thanks for the advice! Will open up the front 10 bolt, pry the differential carrier out if possible, else I will fabricate a "splitter" or bum one from a local shop.

Pender1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1986|2014
Truck Model
K5|1500
Engine Size
5.3L|5.3L
I rebuilt both of my axles without one. Just get two pry bars and bounce force on them and it'll come right out. My front one was still under the truck when I did it. I just hooked a ratchet strap to the front bumper and tightened it until it pulled it out.

edit:hmm...did not realize this was 6 months ago. That's what I get for not reading timestamps.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knep115