PTO's All we know and want to know.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
@Turbo4whl Here we go,
Have seen and asked, alot of PTO questions so I will start the thread you mentioned.
@Snoots, sure not wanting to step on toes.

So, my first question is, that pto I took off was a drivers side mount, or was mounted on that side. It ran both ways but while in neutral it still "ran" is that as it should be?

Edit to add, Chelsea 220 or 410.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Okay Shakey, I'll get to your question later. First some model info. The lightest Chelsea PTO, 100 series that might be on a square. (now obsolete)

You must be registered for see images attach

Single shaft, 25 HP or less, the shifter fork slides the input gear into the gear on the manual trans counter shaft. Keep in mind when a manual trans is in neutral and the clutch is engaged, the counter shaft of the trans is spinning. So to engage this model, truck trans in neutral, release the clutch, wait for the counter shaft to slow down, then shift the PTO.

More info:

Power Take off 100

Next up, 221 series

This model has 2 shafts also engaged by sliding the input gear. Many different configurations including the pump mounting option. Rated up to 48 HP, it can be matched to a manual or auto trans.

@wanderinthru To answer your question, do you know what model PTO, Chelsea (red) Muncie (blue) ? Could it be shifted in gear and the shift fork broken?

I am going to dig up info on the Chelsea 410, also probably discontinued. This model can run constantly.

Stay tuned, more to come....

Wayne

Edit: Info on the 221:

Chelsea 221 (click)

Last edited:

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Chelsea 410

Dug this out from the depths of my garage for pictures. In the first picture you can see the PTO input gear is constantly engaged to the gear of the trans. The shifter moves the gear on the PTO counter shaft. This PTO is also fitted with a pump mount. The switch you can see on the shifter, and the switch on the 100 series picture is a grounding switch. Spring loaded ball in detent switch for dash indicator light.

I assembled this with the correct input gear for my NP203 transfer gear box, driver's side. There are PTO models with reversing ability, larger with 3 shafts.

Also several different shifters, pictured a cable shifter. Lever type, air and electric are options.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
@Turbo4whl, appreciate it! Didn't start this and ignore it, my phone is being a jack ass and ain't letting me type a response with the pictures. Soon as that gets rectified I'll show the pto I took off. It isn't any of the above.

imaxm

Reaction score
First Name
MaX
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
5.3 LS
the only trannies I have seen with the PTO is hydraulics for dump bed or a winch. So my question is you can add this to an automatic?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sriddle36