1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Cummins Squared - 1986 GMC Crew Cab

Discussion in '2wd Pick-Ups C/R 20 2500 C/R 30 3500' started by NotKewl, Jan 28, 2019.

1. NotKewl

NotKewl Junior Member

First Name:
    Brent
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    GMC
    Engine Size:
    5.9l
    Time to start this project. My previous project was completed in a total of 99 days to build a custom one-off rock crawler out of a 2002 4Runner. Not sure I'll be able to keep that pace up with this project, but starting the build thread will help motivate me to keep things moving along because I like to update as frequently as possible and with lots of pictures. Fingers crossed!

Cummins2.png

Project Cummins Squared, so named because it's a "Square-body" that will get a Cummins 6BT stuffed into it. The primary vehicle is a 1986 GMC 3+3 (crew cab) two-wheel drive with a GM corporate 14-bolt out back and no other drivetrain. It's a huge project that needs some body work to fix the usual rust spots on these rigs. I bought it off Facebook for the tiny sum of almost nothing and it came with a ton of parts including new sheet metal, four new rust-free doner doors, rust free doner hood, and a rust-free doner bed. The cab is where all the rust is and will need some fixing.

The plan is to stuff in a Cummins 6BT mated to an NV4500 Manual transmission and a divorced NP203/205 doubler transfer case and keep the GM 14-Bolt out back and a Ford Dana 60 up front. Still debating dually or keep single rear wheels. Why Ford Dana 60? Because it's high-pinion for better clearance and because the 203 doubler setup I already have (bought for another project) is set up for Ford NP205 which is driver-side drop. Okay purists, keep your panties on. No, I don't care that Ford stuff is going on a GM vehicle. Yes, I know that GM didn't make these in a drivers-side drop, so on and so forth. Save your breath, I don't care. Parts is parts and besides Dana made the axle, not Ford. New Process made the transfer case, not Ford, etc.

Now... PICS!!!

Coming-Home1.jpg

IMG_1227.jpeg IMG_1228.jpeg IMG_1229.jpeg

TheFishBox and Old77 like this.
  2. NotKewl

NotKewl Junior Member

First Name:
    Brent
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    GMC
    Engine Size:
    5.9l
    Meeting the doner for the Cummins 6BT. A Blue Bird TC2000. Meeting-Doner.jpg IMG_1139.jpeg IMG_1138.jpeg IMG_1135.jpeg 6BT-1.jpg

Old77 likes this.
  3. NotKewl

NotKewl Junior Member

First Name:
    Brent
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    GMC
    Engine Size:
    5.9l
    Hmmm. Maybe? Not opposed to mixing and matching. Maybe customize the grill to say, Chevrolet or Cummins. lol I do love the early 70's B body van front ends. Maybe.jpg

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    Old77 likes this.
  4. NotKewl

NotKewl Junior Member

First Name:
    Brent
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    GMC
    Engine Size:
    5.9l
    OK wow, so I have been looking EVERYWHERE in my area for an NP205 transfer case that wasn't outrageously expensive or 500 miles away these past few months. FINALLY found one right around the corner for $175 in great shape. Just need to tear it down, clean it, and rebuild it with new seals, bearings, etc. Like I did with the last one (Post 90). Still looking for the transmission (need an NV4500 5 speed) and front axle (Ford Dana 60 1994 or newer for the good brakes).

NP205-Pickup.jpg

NP205-Pickup2.jpg

Old77 likes this.
  5. Old77

Old77 Super Moderator Staff Member

First Name:
    Jacob
    Truck Year:
    1977/1991
    Truck Model:
    C10 longbed/R3500 Dually
    Engine Size:
    350/454
    Interesting project

6. NotKewl

NotKewl Junior Member

First Name:
    Brent
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    GMC
    Engine Size:
    5.9l
    Thanks. I read through your dually build thread. Looking good! Things have been slow this past year. I broke my ankle, got married, been traveling for work a lot. Really wanting to get moving on this project. I have so many project vehicles around that are in the way. Time to get motivated!

Old77 likes this.
  7. idahovette

idahovette Full Access Member

First Name:
    Perry
    Truck Year:
    1975-1979
    Truck Model:
    K20-K10
    Engine Size:
    You broke your ankle and she CAUGHT you!!!

NotKewl and Blue Ox like this.
  8. NotKewl

NotKewl Junior Member

First Name:
    Brent
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    GMC
    Engine Size:
    5.9l
    One year later... COVID crap has been crazy with work so not much progress and the wife is starting to get on to me about having the truck sitting in the back yard covered with a tarp. So I got motivated and tore the Cummins Diesel out of the School bus. Here's the vids. Next stop mated to the trans and stuffed into the frame of the square body.

Removing the Cummins from the bus:

Walk through:

TheFishBox and Old77 like this.
  9. Old77

Old77 Super Moderator Staff Member

First Name:
    Jacob
    Truck Year:
    1977/1991
    Truck Model:
    C10 longbed/R3500 Dually
    Engine Size:
    350/454
    Glad work has commenced! This Covid has delayed progress for many of us this year