1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Crew'd Attitude

Discussion in '2wd Pick-Ups C/R 20 2500 C/R 30 3500' started by Devillusion, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Devillusion

Devillusion Full Access Member

First Name:
    Rob
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    R30 CCSB dually
    Engine Size:
    Well, finally today I said "F-it". Made time out of my schedule to go and pick up my dually that should have been home months ago now.

1989 Chevrolet Crewcab dually
    2wd, 350 TBI, 4 spd standard
    4.11 gears and 167,000km

Truck was originally bought by CP Rail and used by an elderly man who was a forman at the time and just used it as a run around truck and so forth. Baby'd it from what I am told. It then was purchased by a local potatoe farming company and fitted with a service deck. It spent the rest of ít's life running to the field, and a bit of hiway usage, hence the original body condition/panels. Was originally an orange color (cp rail), but got a fresh coat of white when it was last purchased. Know the guys that did the servicing on it regularly and was well taken car of...or as well as a work truck can be anyways.
    Got a new long block 2 years ago, and dropped a gear out of the original 5 spd. A donor truck they had in the yard gave up the 4 spd currently in it. Will be changed back but for now it's all good.
    My buddy had given me a heads up that they were retiring it around a year or so ago now...maybe longer. So I said I was interested, and 2 months ago he called me up asking if I still wanted it....."hell yeah" I said, "how much". Informed me that his boss told him to offer it to me for $1200.00 cash...............needless to say, as of today she is at her new permanant home.

005Medium.jpg
    010Medium.jpg
    008Medium.jpg
    006Medium.jpg
    014Medium.jpg

as well I made time during my trip home to stop in at a buddies place in which I had spoken for a dash he had not used in one of his projects from the past. Steel dash and gauges from a 1959 Impala. I'm thinking I found just the place for this!!........muahahahaha!!

001Medium.jpg

Future plans at this point.....though will change I'm sure of it.

-frame rails shortened 14"
    -short box fleetside box installed
    -dually fender reinstalled on short box
    -make a short stack out of the rear spring pack
    -axle flip
    -drop spindles
    -59 Impala steel dash (plus metal work)
    -91 GMC Jimmy grill/headlights etc (already found)
    -NV4500 transmission swap
    -2001 Chrysler Concorde leather heated memory buckets front and rear
    -sheet metal work interior/console etc.
    -custom stereo

...I think that might be a good start...hahahaha.

89Suburban likes this.
  2. Devillusion

First Name:
    Rob
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    R30 CCSB dually
    Engine Size:
    Here are some shots of the dash swap mocked up in a parts burban I picked up a short time ago. Might as well abuse this carcas and get the dash ready for the crew in the near future.

Things are going somewhat smooth, with no major issues yet. Time will tell if it all works out in the end. But so far I'm liking what I see.

011Medium-1.jpg
    012Medium-1.jpg
    017Medium.jpg
    021Medium.jpg

Spent a few hours and started in on the tear down. Managed to get the doors off and the interior nearly completley gutted in a matter of a couple hours. Floors appear to be next thing to mint, no issues what so ever. Original dash is cutout, and everything but basically the wiring, column and seatbelts are left in it. Will be gutting the heater box next, and removing the front clip to install the 91' Burban front end, full interior power group and harness....then start piecing her back together a bit after some sound deadener and new carpet.

38794904063_large.jpg
    38794904060_large.jpg

Brackets all welded in place, seats mounted including jump seat for the rear, and has ok leg/foot room I guess. Not sure why GM never made the rear doors larger than what they did, cause even with the factory bench in the back, they didn't leave alot of room to get in and out. Should be good though, will be my kids riding in the back for the most part.

006Medium-2.jpg
    005Medium-2.jpg
    001Medium-2.jpg
    012Medium-2.jpg

3. muddyman184

muddyman184 Full Access Member

First Name:
    steve
    Truck Year:
    90 AND 82
    Truck Model:
    K5,K20
    Engine Size:
    Lovin the dash and seats can't wait to see what you have in store for this one!

4. Devillusion

First Name:
    Rob
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    R30 CCSB dually
    Engine Size:
    I guess I'll start with the good news first. The crew cab 2wd (brown) was a sweet deal at $500.00 (wheels included), had a Bell Tech lowering kit with spindles in the front of it, an uncracked dash pad (for my other project), and 2 decent bench seats to resell. I also turned the back half into a trailer that may or may not be a matched set to the truck later....lol.

As for the crew cab 4x4 I just picked up the other nite (blue), it was supposed to be a 454 truck but when I got there it was only a 350, but not the end of the world. The issue became when I got under it with a flash light it seemed as though there was only a few small issues with rust on the rocker and drivers floor board. This is EXACTLY why you never buy a truck at night...lol. Looked her over today and someone was under it with fiberglass etc to patch up some issues. So needless to say I was not extatic about it, but I guess at least once I sell the service box, and some other items I am not going to use I should come close to breaking even. Picked her up for $1300 bux in the end. Really wish she had that 454 in her though...lol. Truck has a T400/205 combo, so that is nice. Truck will more than likely get a cummins or LS swap eventually anyways so I will just sell off this crap anyways. It's an 88 FI 350 now.....nothing special.

So anyways.....the project I got some accomplished as I have the drop spindles in, some coils I had laying around (too short....waaay to shoort..lol), so am going to cut a ring off the factories and put them in. Hoping that won't be to much. Have the dash fully welded in and defrost vents drilled (PITA!), and had to heat and shrink a few places that warped on me over the months past but all good in the end. First coat of filler on it to level things out, hope to have things in primer in the next month or so. Having a hell of a time finding enough hours in the day lately.

022Medium.jpg
    032Medium.jpg
    035Medium.jpg

030Medium.jpg
    029Medium.jpg

Managed to get some small things done over the past few weeks. Welded/shaved the roof seam, drip rails, and cab emblems. Replaced the passenger side cab corner, couple holes in the roof from cb antenna's etc. Installed the belltech spindles, dropped one ring off of the factory coils, alcoa's installed.

I mono foamed the roof (hold the flaming), due to having issues getting the roof sanded out properly as the roof likes to move being such a large panel. So decided to drill numerous 1/4" hols in the inside panel and fill with low expansion foam. Worked EXCELLENT! Roof is firm now and not as tinny of a sound either. You can push on the roof and it doesn't sink either. Took the better part of 4 cans. Will be doing this to the 4x4 build as well when I get her home....oh ya, bought another crew cab....lol. Like I needed a 4th!

034Medium.jpg
    030Medium-1.jpg
    029Medium-1.jpg

A/C firewall swapped over (PITA!)

018Medium.jpg
    004Medium-4.jpg
    007Medium-2.jpg
    005Medium-4.jpg
    028Medium.jpg

005Medium-5.jpg
    006Medium-3.jpg

037Medium.jpg
    047Medium.jpg
    041Medium.jpg
    045Medium.jpg
    040Medium.jpg
    046Medium.jpg
    044Medium.jpg

5. Devillusion

First Name:
    Rob
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    R30 CCSB dually
    Engine Size:
    finished up some loose ends on the body work (hope to prime and paint within the week) Started the frame shortening...14" out of the front and 6" off the back to accomodate the short box fleetside. Next will be to flip the rear differential to level this thing out.

015Medium-4.jpg
    011Medium-4.jpg
    012Medium-4.jpg
    38794904234_large.jpg
    38794904205_large.jpg
    38794904203_large.jpg

38794904242_large.jpg
    38794904243_large.jpg

Built a new crossmember to replace the factory on I removed out
    of a reciever hitch, used the pieces of frame I removed to shorten the truck as side brackets and should be able to utilize the portion hanging out for the rear bumper as it will only be cosmetic anyways. Will always be using the reciever on this thing. Hoping I have it figured out to hide behind the licence plate.

Also got the axle flipped, just mocked up in place. Have to remove the differential then remove the factory perches, weld the new perches in place, then reinstall it all over again. Dropped the rear over 10", sits almost perfectly level now (12" to the rockers) will lower the front another inch or so when I do the single wheel conversion. Would like it to all come down another couple of inches if possible, but won't play with that till everything is back together and full of fuel etc.

38794904246_large.jpg
    38794904249_large.jpg

6. Devillusion

First Name:
    Rob
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    R30 CCSB dually
    Engine Size:
    Okay, finally said "F" it and sat down, put down some ideas on paper so to speak. This is what I come up with thus far....

[​IMG]

7. Devillusion

First Name:
    Rob
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    R30 CCSB dually
    Engine Size:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Devillusion

First Name:
    Rob
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    R30 CCSB dually
    Engine Size:
    Some progress...........dash is painted, mixed up my own paint color to match the factory replacement carpet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hinges all redone with new bushings and pins....

9. Devillusion

First Name:
    Rob
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    R30 CCSB dually
    Engine Size:
    99 percent of the Second Skin sound dampner in place, just waiting to figure out if it's going to get the NV 4500 swap or not. Waiting to hear on a couple parts trucks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Devillusion

First Name:
    Rob
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    R30 CCSB dually
    Engine Size:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Devillusion

First Name:
    Rob
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    R30 CCSB dually
    Engine Size:
    Well, this is the day I have been waiting for a long time over and over in my head......let's see if it turns out as good as my brain thinks it is!

Buddy of mine came down to do the striping for me, along with some silver leaf to give it that old skool shop truck/hot rod feel.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

....and this is where it is at as we speak and unfortunatley pushed outside to start progress on the CCSRWSB4x4 project (Raising Cain). Want to get that one buttoned up so that the cab is sealed up and jams/firwall in paint. Then I can start organizing all my parts to where they are going and what I can sell/keep for spares and build the truck account back up again. Don't want to sell anything till I am sure I am not going to need it. But could use some added funds for the projects...

Still have my K5 diesel 4x4 project in the South wing yet....will get thos pics up soon as well.

...and yes, for those wondering...........I do have a bad case of OCD, ADHD, and every other letter in the alphabet. Minds of Mayhem won't shut down so i need to get the ideas out of my head...hahahahahaha.

Let me know whatcha think...:superhack:

12. Devillusion

First Name:
    Rob
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    R30 CCSB dually
    Engine Size:
    Thanks......that dash took YEARS off my life by the time it is where it is. Couple times thought the plasma was coming out and shit was gonna hit the fan. But so far all has worked out pretty well.

13. bucket

bucket Super Moderator Staff Member

First Name:
    Andy
    Truck Year:
    '77, '78, '79, '84, '88
    Truck Model:
    K5 thru K30
    Engine Size:
    350-454
    I was hoping you were going to stay DRW with the shortbed. Seems like a lot of people say they are going to, but then for one reason or another, they change their mind. What are you going to do about the narrow rear axle? Just run spacers?

14. HotRodPC

HotRodPC Administrator Staff Member

First Name:
    HotRod
    Truck Year:
    85 K20 LWB / 86 K5
    Truck Model:
    Silverado / Silverado
    Engine Size:
    454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73 350 - 700R4 - 4.10
    Lovely work to say the least.

I can't say the same for seeing the brown one being cut up !!! :sad72:

15. HotRodPC

HotRodPC Administrator Staff Member

First Name:
    HotRod
    Truck Year:
    85 K20 LWB / 86 K5
    Truck Model:
    Silverado / Silverado
    Engine Size:
    454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73 350 - 700R4 - 4.10
    Is that the OEM VIN Tag for the truck? Same #? What kind of legalities did that create?