Preventing rusting paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
So when I got my square it had nearly perfect paint with a few rougher spots but still pretty good. I've washed it a few times and both times it has seemed to bring out the rust spots. The paint under the passenger mirror is starting to crack and show a bit of rust brown. On the drivers side the white area has little pellet holes that are rusting.

I'm starting to freak out because that was one of the charms of my truck is how nice the paint looked. It's a survivor. I'd like to prevent this from getting worse but putting it in a garage isn't an option. It's exposed to the weather. How can I attempt to fix some of these spots while preventing the rust from getting worse? Is wax good enough or should I sand it a little bit and use touch up paint? Will that make it look worse? Thanks.

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If it's single stage paint (not base/clear), DuPont no. 7 rubbing compound will take off surface rust. Then use a good paste wax.

Cemack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Not sure what to do about the rust you already have, but if you want to prevent rusting of the bottoms of your doors and rocker panels you should spray some rust preventing spray like waxoil. Fluid film is another good one. Spay this waxy oily mixture into all the cavities and it will prevent rusting

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL