Prepping up a 700r4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
I recently put in a 700r4 behind my 350, and for just getting around I love it, cruising below 2 grand around town has saved my wallet. However when I want to get on it, I’m left a little disappointed. The only times it ever really kicks it up is when I can get it to downshift, which is only half the time, and when I mash it WOT it shifts at like 4 grand.

I’m gonna do a corvette servo soon but it’s a stock trans with 3.08 gears in the rear. If there’s a shift kit that’ll keep the part throttle shift points low for cruising but up pressure all the way around and let it rip into 5k when I get on it I’d love to hear suggestions.

Also a side note, the motor is a sbc with smog heads, intake carb and exhaust, nothing fancy but it’s enough for me, but It makes 15 psi hot at idle and 30 cruising and 50 to 60 when I get into it. I think these are good numbers but if anyone would advise me to stay out of the high rpms on a stock bottom end I’d love to get a 2nd opinion

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I too, can complain about downshifting performance. My jackass cruises stop and go on the highway in 2nd gear. Tach only reads 7 grand lol. I don't know wtf..the 700 has some kind of detent cable?

OR WHAT?!

Can't we just pull the slider out or push it in, whatever? Haha i've got no clue how the kickdown operates.

A "Corvette servo" only controls line pressure for the 1-2 shift or?

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
I too, can complain about downshifting performance. My jackass cruises stop and go on the highway in 2nd gear. Tach only reads 7 grand lol. I don't know wtf..the 700 has some kind of detent cable?

OR WHAT?!

Can't we just pull the slider out or push it in, whatever? Haha i've got no clue how the kickdown operates.

A "Corvette servo" only controls line pressure for the 1-2 shift or?

Im tempted to tighten the tv cable, but I’ve read from several sources that the tv cable is not to be adjusted to get the proper feel, and that once it is set correctly it should be left alone. Would it be safe to slightly adjust it just to help my shift points?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
With correct geometry and a stock type cable, adjustment is just about idiot proof.

Push the release tab, retract the cable fully into the housing. Then mash the throttle wide open. It will self-adjust when you open the throttle fully and that's all there is to do.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
With correct geometry and a stock type cable, adjustment is just about idiot proof.

Push the release tab, retract the cable fully into the housing. Then mash the throttle wide open. It will self-adjust when you open the throttle fully and that's all there is to do.

That’s what I did, I’ve got an eddy with the little corrector bracket

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Ok, so even if you adjusted the cable for more pull and a higher rpm shift point, it would go back to the proper setting the first time the throttle gets opened 100%.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
Ok, so even if you adjusted the cable for more pull and a higher rpm shift point, it would go back to the proper setting the first time the throttle gets opened 100%.
True, I guess my quiestion is noot then about cable adjustment, does anyone have any suggestions on shift kits for stock transmissions?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I believe the governor is what controls the full throttle shift point. Shift kits will control how crisp/firm the shifts are.

Disclaimer: I am not a trans builder.

86suburbanNJ609

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
My 700 had I shift kit in it and ultimately after 5000 miles tops it needed a rebuild. I thought it was the TV cable but it wasn't The transmission shop I went with removed it and now this thing is a dog to say the least nevertheless I am doing my homework trying to find a 4l80 supposedly that's the way to go if you want od with these trucks. I definately am not satisfied with this trans if I could do it over I would've saved my pennies and made the switch.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
there a governor on the ps of transmission that controls shift rpms, in stock trans/rebuilds it shifts low like 4k because the springs are not changed. The tv cable is short for throttle valve and having this adjusted incorrectly will not allow for the correct pressure for the trans to operate correctly and can burn it up in just a few miles. once its adjusted correctly you should have to mess with it again. First thing to do is confirm you are getting wide open throttle (WOT) by pressing the gas pedal to the floor and looking at tps reading on ecm or chekcing the throttle plates on carb. Once this is correct then you can adjust the tv cable.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
I agree, the more I dig into 700r4 upgrades it seems like I either have to build it to the moon, or enjoy 5 minutes of fun

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
I agree, the more I dig into 700r4 upgrades it seems like I either have to build it to the moon, or enjoy 5 minutes of fun

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rons59