Precision fab 6.6/Allison/ZF6 swap parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
That is a dream of mine also. I have a silverado with a 8.1L and the ZF-6. It would be awesome to swap that into my square.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That is a dream of mine also. I have a silverado with a 8.1L and the ZF-6. It would be awesome to swap that into my square.

I've done a lot of reading on the 8.1L swap from the infamous DirtLarry build and I always figured it would be my go to if I ever find myself in a position to do any kind of swap. But reality is I'll eventually end up buying a different truck when I need to. Finding a truck like your Silverado around my area is near impossible btw, what year is it?

I am currently in the process of trying to talk one of my local buddies into trying this kit since he runs a full service "diesel performance" shop out of his backyard, and they have a few squares sitting around. If they do I'll try to be part of the build up and post as they go.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I have a 2003. I was looking for a duramax/ZF6 combo but came across the 8.1 At the time it was around $11,000 less than a Duramax so I jumped at the chance.

You must be registered for see images attach

The diesel place has a thread just for the location of ZF-6 trucks since they are hard to find.
Also on the forum there was a lot of talk about how much more efficient the ZF-6 was vs the Allison. The Allison is a great transmission, but is heavy and big and sucks up some power thru loss. There was even dyno data on side by side trucks to show with the manual you did get better power out of it.
I keep fuel mileage logs and I can say my best tank was 16.5 mpg. Most guys with the allison say they never get above 12 mpg.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
the 8.1 At the time it was around $11,000 less than a Duramax so I jumped at the chance.

This right here. Exactly what I'm seeing even now on used vehicles between 110k and 180k miles on them. The only thing that surprises more then prices on new vehicles is prices on used ones. I've been keeping my eye out for one exactly like your 03 and have not found one diesel or gas. I bet the ZF6 is more reliable then the Allison. I've heard of some having pretty expensive issues. Plus the manual is always easier for a DIY repair.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
This right here. Exactly what I'm seeing even now on used vehicles between 110k and 180k miles on them. The only thing that surprises more then prices on new vehicles is prices on used ones. I've been keeping my eye out for one exactly like your 03 and have not found one diesel or gas. I bet the ZF6 is more reliable then the Allison. I've heard of some having pretty expensive issues. Plus the manual is always easier for a DIY repair.

A lot of people are not a fan of the dual mass flywheel as they can blow apart once you start modifying the duramax. Other than that (and I've never had a problem with it) they are reliable.
The only issue I had was towing a 5th wheel on a long 11 hour day when it was around 100 degrees. After a full tank of driving on the interstate I pulled off to fill up. Clutch pedal went to the floor and didn't quite want to come back up. All the fluid in the clutch hose boiled away since the exhaust is only a few inches away. I bought some expensive heat wrap and wrapped the line and haven't had that issue since.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL