power window motor question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

peyton

Reaction score
First Name
peyton
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20 suburban
Engine Size
diesel 6.5l na
hello all,

in going thru my 86 suburban, i just replaced the rf power window motor (acdelco 12497971) and noticed that there is a hole in the plastic near the power connector. the old motor had a hole as well so i'm wondering what is the purpose of it. must be there for a reason. thanks,

peyton

here is a pic of what i'm asking about

You must be registered for see images attach

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
IIRC, you can insert an object in the hole and press the 2 dissimilar layers of metal together (thermal overload protection, cheap, crap design) when they have opened abnormally. This is supposed to allow you to operate the motor (if obstructed in some applications) to access it for repair.

peyton

Reaction score
First Name
peyton
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20 suburban
Engine Size
diesel 6.5l na
IIRC, you can insert an object in the hole and press the 2 dissimilar layers of metal together (thermal overload protection, cheap, crap design) when they have opened abnormally. This is supposed to allow you to operate the motor (if obstructed in some applications) to access it for repair.

thanks corvair geek,

seems like a reasonable idea. someone in another forum suggested maybe an opening for a tool to raise/lower the window with a dead motor.

i would like to post your answer on another site, with attribution, if you have no objections

peyton

ps: i was into corvairs for a number of years and still have 66 monza convertible i intend to get to "one of these days"

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL