Power window issue on my 88 suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burban1990

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
Yesterday all my power windows worked last night they stopped working at the same time . I have power to all switches the fuses are not blown and the switches also show power when you flick the switch up and down. still the windows will not roll up or down any suggestions?

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Check out GMSB's Tech Section for the schematic for your vehicle.

I think there may be a relay between the switches and motors. That relay IIRC is under the passenger side dash near the kick panel.

Burban1990

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
Check out GMSB's Tech Section for the schematic for your vehicle.

I think there may be a relay between the switches and motors. That relay IIRC is under the passenger side dash near the kick panel.

Thank you!

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
All the windows share a common ground under the dash on the driver side kick plate on a ground buss bar. It is way up there and hard to see past the e brake pedal. But if you have power and nothing works all at once, I would look at the ground.

Burban1990

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
All the windows share a common ground under the dash on the driver side kick plate on a ground buss bar. It is way up there and hard to see past the e brake pedal. But if you have power and nothing works all at once, I would look at the ground.

I was under the impression that ground was also for the power door locks and dash lights which work at this time please correct me if I'm wrong.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
I was under the impression that ground was also for the power door locks and dash lights which work at this time please correct me if I'm wrong.

There are several different things grounded on the bar. Peek up and see if you see something that came loose

Burban1990

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
in fact the relay is is just on top of the gaz pedal close to the firewall not easy to remove, i did it on a 88 suburban at the junk yard! ;)

You must be registered for see images attach

Considering I've never had a square body with power windows any chance you have a picture of that relay? After reading the write-ups on this subject I was under the impression the 88 suburban was a plug and play with no relay just a fuse. The diagram on that same thread didn't show a relay either just a fuse. Because it's my impression that a relay resets itself and none of my windows work.

Last edited:

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
I dont think the windows have a relay from the factory. The locks have a relay, though.

Burban1990

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
I dont think the windows have a relay from the factory. The locks have a relay, though.

This was my understanding. I believe it's the main driver door switch.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
here is the trouble shooting guide. the reference library has the full manual. i had some mice chew some wires under the dash that drove me nuts....you may pull the dash and peak at the harness.

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
Considering I've never had a square body with power windows any chance you have a picture of that relay? After reading the write-ups on this subject I was under the impression the 88 suburban was a plug and play with no relay just a fuse. The diagram on that same thread didn't show a relay either just a fuse. Because it's my impression that a relay resets itself and none of my windows work.
the métal box you see in center of this picture ;)

Burban1990

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
the métal box you see in center of this picture ;)

Thank you! That's really all I needed.. I'm going to check the ground wire to the bus bar and if that's connected this relay will be the next step thanks again for your help! Actually now that I pretty much know the ins and outs of this power window system I think it might have been me who unplugged the ground wire when I pulled the air duct that runs along the bottom of the dash under the steering wheel to rewire the stereo. As a lot of you now putting it back in was a bit of a chore because I have a trailer break and a few other things impeding that area.

Burban1990

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
Extremely rusty bus bar created bad connection. Problem solved! Thank you for the help!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84