Power to the stereo while cranking?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SrMousse

Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
Is there a way to provide power to my stereo while I am cranking the engine? For that matter, is it possible to delay during the stereo off after I turned the key? My old 2003 pickup gave me 2 min after turning the key off, and triggered of as soon as the driver door opened.

Thoughts??

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
You could wire up a relay like this one https://www.delcity.net/store/Time-Delay-Relays/p_804415.h_804416 to maintain power after the key is turned off.

Keeping power on during cranking would require a different solution (but you might be able to use the same relay), since that design is built in to the ignition switch. Most vehicles cut off accessory power during cranking to provide more power to the starter.

Bruce

SrMousse

Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
Both excellent options!!! Thanks! I'm adding this to my list!

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Is there a way to provide power to my stereo while I am cranking the engine? For that matter, is it possible to delay during the stereo off after I turned the key? My old 2003 pickup gave me 2 min after turning the key off, and triggered of as soon as the driver door opened.

Thoughts??

Here's a thought...Why? There's a reason it's the way it is.

SrMousse

Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
Because we can, of course! lol. I think that same question could be asked of most mods we make to our squares.

For me, it is simply because of how I've grown accustom to using my stereo/phone. I am often driving and talking via bluetooth. When I arrive, my conversations are often not quite over. So, my current choice is to leave my truck running, waisting fuel, or shut if off and pick up the phone (1st world problems, I know!) I would like to choose option #3... turn off the truck and have a couple minutes to finish up my call =)

I think i'm ruined, cause my '03 Silverado that I sold after I bought my '91 burb had this feature, and I used it all the time!

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
My current radio stays powered on long enough for me to kill the engine and throw the key into the accessory position

Billy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
My Jeep has this option and i love it. I can turn off the car and finish listening to the song, and when I open the door the radio shuts off. I'd love to have this in my K5. Why? Bc it's cool. It's things such as this, i blame for my truck not being finished

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
You can make it simple and untimed by using a relay to trigger the radio off when the door is opened.

https://www.the12volt.com/relays/relaydiagram30.html

I've also heard of people wiring in a 4th gen f body RAP module. You would have to search for the wiring on that though. That would give you 10 minutes I believe.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey