Power Steering Pump Severe Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
So my '80 High Sierra has been leaking power steering for quite some time now. Not too bad so i'd top her off if she was a little low. But after not driving it for two days and then i go to, the reservoir was empty! Not so good, i have alot of floor dry on the floor underneath. So i'm wondering as to who sells a good OEM power steering pump or any remans. Or even a seal kit, i don't know the extent of it. Plan on pulling it all apart soon.

PROBLEM 2

While i'm at it, my brakes are doing some funky things:

So this has been happening since day one, when im coming to a stop, it'll act as if my brakes are surging, it isn't a constant normal brake like it should be. Feels like i'm boucing in the cab almost, minor but noticable enough. Uneven drum wear maybe? My front brakes are fresh so i know they're good. Any ideas?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I had my pressure line leak right where it made a u bend and it wasn’t completely obvious and took a little bit to empty the fluid would leak out too

steering was choppy probably from pressure up and down

I bought an ac delco line originally.
Fitting stripped itself putting it on didn’t even hurt my gearbox..
Had to use an oreillies line. Cheap quality,we’ll see how long it lasts. Going on a year and a half now but I don’t use it on road.

Curt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-30
Engine Size
PSC makes a great power steering pump.They’re a bit high,but so is buying multiple pumps.

Your brakes sound like air in the system.Possible leaking booster,maybe?

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
huh, no ****. never thought of that. i'll look into that, thanks

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
I had my pressure line leak right where it made a u bend and it wasn’t completely obvious and took a little bit to empty the fluid would leak out too

steering was choppy probably from pressure up and down

I bought an ac delco line originally.
Fitting stripped itself putting it on didn’t even hurt my gearbox..
Had to use an oreillies line. Cheap quality,we’ll see how long it lasts. Going on a year and a half now but I don’t use it on road.

i also had a battle with power the gear to pump power steering line. i blew two brand new replacements and put the high quality old one on that had a minor leak. Leaks at the ferrel closest to the pump, not too bad though. not enough to leak everything i lost thats for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes