Power steering pump recommendation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slooptin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Vance
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
Any recommendations on a quality PS pump for a 454 truck with hydroboost brakes? My current one just started leaking and its only 3-4 months old (ordered from rockauto). This is the second leaking PS pump I've had since I bought the truck and I've verified its coming from the pump body and not from one of the lines

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Don't think one rebuilder is better than the others. It's just luck of the draw. Could try GM or Delco if available. Is it leaking from the shaft or body? If the body could be rough handling when shipped or prying on body during installation.

Slooptin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Vance
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
Not entirely sure, it looks like it's coming from the back of the pump body

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Wipe it off and dust it with some talcum powder. You'll find from where it's leaking.

1lejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
1985 , 2004
Truck Model
k-1500, 2500 HD
Engine Size
350, 6.7
Turn one power steering pumps. they are pricey$$$

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
Just my opinion but, rebuilt and quality should never be use in the same sentence. I learned my lesson in my 20's, new parts are almost always better than someone else used parts that have been cleaned and repackaged.

When I didn't know better, I would take my Chevy van to the local Chief auto parts to get a rebuilt carb or alternator. The used/rebuilt crap was so bad I would replace the carb in their parking lot so I could keep exchanging it until I got one that worked. So I made a mental note of how much wasted time and money was spent fantasizing that rebuilt junk is ok.

The biggest lesson I learned was that the price of the rebuilt piece is what I save by just doing what is logical and buying the new part the first time. It just didn't make sense to keep sabotaging reliability and wasting my time.

Logic dictates that we don't buy the cheapest condoms available and reuse them, why doesn't this logic carry over to rebuilt auto parts?

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
After converting to hb I went through a few reman pumps until I installed a PSC pump and that was the fix. They are new, not rebuilt. The PS1400 I purchased is just the pump, you reuse your hb reservoir. This part# is assuming your truck has the self-contained pump and not a remote reservoir. They’ve been around a long time so I’m sure they can set you up with something to suit your particular needs.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Oil dye is available but unless the body was bent really doesn't matter. Do you have the core? Just get a replacement without the body. It isn't all that difficult to swap it out.

I was in the buy new when available camp until our shop tried new starters. At that time, they were offshore crap. Went back to rebuilt and never tried new again. Might not be true today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell