Power steering pump R&R.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Doing a rebuild on the steering system on my truck, here is how to replace your power steering pump and hoses.

First step is of coarse to keep the engine from starting, I keep the keys in my pocket or you can disconnect the battery.

Second grab a half inch wrench and take loose the 4 nuts holding the fan on. Next remove the upper part of the plastic fan shroud. From the factory they use rivits I am sure, just drill them out and replace them with screws. Also before the upper fan shroud comes out you have to pull the upper radiator support piece, very easy since its only 4 small bolts.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Next is the various intermingled bracketry. Once the A/C compressor is loose the belt should slip off without a problem, if not loosen the power steering pump and it will come off. All the bolts holding the A/C compressor on are 5/8's heads and most everything holding the rest of the brackets on is a 9/16's head. Pull all this **** off to get to the power steering pump. The A/C compressor can be lifted out and set out of the way with the hoses still attached, no need to take anything loose under pressure.

These brackets can stay on the engine, I decided to pull them off and paint them.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
A few things about this pump. Dont try taking loose these fluid lines without a "Line wrench", usually you just strip them out and it causes problems. The pulley is pressed on so you need a special tool to remove it. That bracket on the pump will be transfered over to the next pump.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
So here is the pulley you have to remove, there is a couple options to get this thing off. Bottom line is you need a tool that grabs the groves on the outside of the snout and pulls it off. The inside of the shaft of the pump is threaded so you can use a tool for removal and installation.

First option for removing this pulley is giving your local parts store a 30 dollar security deposit and borrowing their tool, assuming you can explain what you need to the young kid behind the counter who has no clue what the hell your talking about. If you go this route you need compressed air and an impact gun, if you use a normal ratchet or wrench it will just turn the pump shaft.

Second option is what I went with, your very own tool from harbor freight for 15 bucks. Its called a "pulley puller" and worth every penny, since its your tool you can score it up with vice grips and use hand tools to remove and install the pulley. I highly recommend this tool.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Here is the kit and here is how I used it.

Its hard to explain how this thing works, once you mess with it for a few seconds it becomes really clear. There is a thin piece of round steel you slip over the two halves of the tool, instead I clamped the two peices together with vice grips and set the whole thing on the floor so I could turn the main jam nut to pull the pulley off.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Now that the pulley is off you can get to the bolts holding this bracket on. The bracket gets switched to the new pump.

The beauty of having your own tool to remove the pulley is you can have the old pump in hand to exchange for the new pump without extra trips back and fourth.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I cleaned 25 years of grease and grime off my brackets in my solvent tank and scuffed the parts really good with a wire brush, then i hit them with a good coating of semi gloss black engine paint. It looks funny bolted to a greasy nasty motor but really compliments the repair.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
The same tool used to remove the pulley is used to install it on the new pump. After you bolt the bracket back on you simply thread a stud into the pump shaft and exchange a bearing in place of the two groved halves you used to pull the pull off.

Installing is simple, just use a couple big cresent wrenches to turn the main jam nut until the Pulley is pressed on all the way, it can be done without air tools.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
New cap for the pump thanks to Rockauto.com.

Here is the line wrench I was talking about, I got a new pressure line for the P/S pum off of rockauto.com for 10 bucks. The return line I used regular 3/8's fuel line for a couple bucks.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Time for everything to go back together, I put everything together finger tight to ensure I have all the right bolts in the right places. If everything fits fine I tightened all the bolts and use blue lock tight.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
new alternator and power steering belts.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Connect the fluid lines to the steering box.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Install the fan and shroud and top off pump with power steering fluid.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Nice write up man. I need a pulley puller set but I'll probably get a wilmar one for $30 off ebay.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Sumbitch Iman. ROCK ON DUDE!!!! :High 5: Great write up bro!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes