Power Steering pump differences?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
I just finished up doing a serpentine conversion on my truck. I got everything off a 1990 C1500 2wd truck and transferred it to my 1986 K10 I'm using my existing high pressure and return hoses. Everything works extremely well except for the power steering, it is much tighter to turn the wheels than before. With the old pump it was extremely easy to turn from lock to lock and had more play. now it's much tighter and less play. It has power steering it just feels a lot different. My question is, is there a difference between the internals of a 2wd pump and the 4x4 pump? And if you pull the cap off the pump, while the engine is running, can you see movement of the fluid in there? I ask because mine has no fluid movement.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
My question is, is there a difference between the internals of a 2wd pump and the 4x4 pump?

No - there are no internal differences between the two model years you are working with. From 1985 through 1990, whether the application is the C,K,R, or V series, all those trucks use the same power steering pump rebuild kit.

As I'm sure you suspect, any differences would only be found in the external details (the mounting configuration, pulley style/diameter, location of return/supply ports, etc.).

You must be registered for see images attach

And if you pull the cap off the pump, while the engine is running, can you see movement of the fluid in there? I ask because mine has no fluid movement.

I never really looked or thought about it, but the pump's discharge port is hard piped all the way through and out of the casing - so you definitely wouldn't see that flow.

And as far as the return line; although it's last section (inside the reservoir) is open ended, it terminates below the design operating level. Also, to reduce the chance of aeration, the last section is fitted it is designed to act like a nozzle that directs the flow of incoming hydraulic fluid in the downward direction. So as long as the fluid in the reservoir is kept at the normal level, you shouldn't be able see any flow from the return line either.

Last edited:

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
My question is, is there a difference between the internals of a 2wd pump and the 4x4 pump?

No - there are no internal differences between the two model years you are working with. From 1985 through 1990, whether the application is the C,K,R, or V series, all those trucks use the same power steering pump rebuild kit.

As I'm sure you suspect, any differences would only be found in the external details (the mounting configuration, pulley style/diameter, location of return/supply ports, etc.).

And if you pull the cap off the pump, while the engine is running, can you see movement of the fluid in there? I ask because mine has no fluid movement.

I never really looked or thought about it, but the pump's discharge port is hard piped all the way through and out of the casing - so you definitely wouldn't see that flow.

And as far as the return line; although it's last section (inside the reservoir) is open ended, it terminates below the design operating level. Also, to reduce the chance of aeration, the last section is fitted it is designed to act like a nozzle that directs the flow of incoming hydraulic fluid in the downward direction. So as long as the fluid in the reservoir is kept at the normal level, you shouldn't be able see any flow from the return line either.

Thanks Chengny. I guess I bought a defective one from Autozone then. Gonna take it off and get another, and see how it turns out. Its been a week, and the steering is getting stiffer and stiffer, at times it gets caught now.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
My replacement pump from autozone was also less assist than original. Replaced only because their new steering box dumped all fluid out on a long drive.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Pulley diameter is the same?

A difference would modify fluid flow...
Perhaps the pump no longer spins at an equivalent speed.

Last edited:

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Pulley diameter is the same?

A difference would modify fluid flow...
Perhaps the pump no longer spins at an equivalent speed.

The pulleys seem to be the same diameter in size, just now I'm using a serpentine pulley instead of the v-belts.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
The pulleys seem to be the same diameter in size, just now I'm using a serpentine pulley instead of the v-belts.

Correction, the serpentine pulley is bigger than the v-belt pulley. I took in the pump, and got a new one, put it on and I'm glad to say its working as it should. Steering feels like butter again. We'll see how long this half ass autozone pump will last this time. If it goes out again, I'm gonna bite the bullet and order a quality pump online.