Possible Leak Locations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spilfner

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So I've recently started the restoration of my 1983 K10. After rebuilding an engine for it (outside of the truck), I pulled the truck (using another vehicle) over to the shed where I will be working on it (maybe 200 yards from where the truck was sitting). It has sat at the new location for maybe 2 weeks without issue while I removed the bed to replace the fuel tank and do some other things before putting in the new engine.

Suddenly, overnight, there is a puddle of transmission fluid underneath, dripping quite quickly from the transfer case. I didn't have time to examine it at that moment, I'm going to work on it today and thought I would try and get some ideas from here before I started on it. I'll have to check, but I'm fairly certain its the NP208, behind my 4-speed manual transmission.

What could be possible sudden leak points for a t-case on level ground, on a truck that hasn't been started in years?

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:

Spilfner

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey thanks for the advice, looks like it was for sure my front output shaft seal. Got it pulled out...had to order that little rubber spline washer though...so waiting on that to come in before I put it back together.

Turt13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Mine developed a leak on the input side. If you don't mind being a teacher for a moment, then
How hard was it to get to, and how did you go about doing it? Any idea how to do the other side?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adriank