Possessed electrics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
New problem of the last few weeks. My starter grinds the flexplate sometimes but most times works fine. The wiper blades are also super slow/stop half way... but upon driving 10-15 minutes things start working normally.

Could this be battery, alternator, or maybe a ground?

Gauges show normal, cranks easy when it works properly, and I haven't noticed any other issues. Things started going funky all around the same time.

Starter is a new OEM high torque power master 168 tooth unit.

Flexplate is a 168 tooth.

Battery was new a year or two ago.

Alternator - I honestly have no idea.

I do have a grounding strap ran to one of the starter mounting bolts (planned on moving that) and the starter is also getting some oil and coolant on it (other issues I need to address :emotions122:)

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Clean all the battery and cable connections (both ends) clean the mounting point of the wiper motor. The grinding sound is starter drive issues, nothing electrical.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Clean all the battery and cable connections (both ends) clean the mounting point of the wiper motor. The grinding sound is starter drive issues, nothing electrical.

Will do! Would the engine oil (leaking from fuel pump mounting plate and will be addressed this weekend) all over the starter cause that to die rapidly? Its maybe been on there 1500 miles.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I personally would not think so as my starter is also oil soaked and has never given issues.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I personally would not think so as my starter is also oil soaked and has never given issues.

Ok, well maybe I just got a crap starter or it needs shimed, I always thought the OEM style didn't need them. I'll toss in my old starter and see what it does. while I'm under there Ill pull the inspection cover and take a look at that flex plate.

Thanks all!

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I dont think ive ever seen a shimmed starter on any of my motors.... idk

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I dont think ive ever seen a shimmed starter on any of my motors.... idk

This is what i was thinking too. I've never seen them in use personally either. I'll give that old ac delco a try and if it works ill keep it until it dies out.

For the wipers, it turned out to be the actual motor. Put some die electric grease on all of the connections after cleaning them up well. Still same issue. Then threw the new one I had in a box from rock auto on and it's working beautifully.

Got that old junky one from a local parts store at the end of this last summer. Washer pump never worked and I'm guessing it was sitting on their shelf for a while. Seems like I'm finding several badly made parts lately.

I might end up making a new thread for the starter since its not an electric issue, depends how checking it over goes. Really hoping my flex plate isnt jacked up..

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Loosen the starter bolts and the nose brace on the starter.
Tighten the starter bolt closest to the engine first.
Then tighten the outside bolt followed by the nose brace.

If that doesn't work, repeat the procedure in reverse.

If that doesn't work, shim it. Probably 1 shim on the inside.

My 350 was a bee itch too.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
When you start getting grinding issues with the starter, you need to inspect the flexplate/flywheel teeth. They start to wear down and eventually grind off or break. I would look at cleaning your grounds, positive and negative cables. As corrosion creates resistance the starter armature won't get the full voltage it needs to set the starter gear in position to crank the engine. Thus the grinding.

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
I've always used a paper clip to check clearance on the starter teeth. Pry the gear out to mesh with the flexplate and see if a paper clip fits where the top of the starter tooth meets the bottom of the flexplate teeth. Grinding is either you have too much clearance or the starter gear isn't kicking out far enough, whining after the engine starts you have too little clearance and the gear is sticking to the flexplate. My starter is shimmed because it was whining.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks everyone! Got it all fixed up. Pulled the cover and starter, found gear teeth to be in great shape still. A little evidence of grinding. Put the starter back with shims, bumped the ignition found it still grinding. But after it did the starter gear was still engaged in the flex plate. Figured something in the starter for messed up.

Got a new one and put it in. All problems were gone. Going to be sending this one back to summit.

Now i got to fix my oil and coolant leaks and I'll be SUPER happy.

TONKA

Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I've got the same grinding problem but it only happens when the engine is warm. seems like it isn't getting pushed out far enough or the starts torque is pulling it out of alignment. i have a bit of a weird set up because of one bolt won't thread in all the way. so that might be the root of my problem I just would assume it would be on there good enough to not cause a problem but idk.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
one bolt won't thread in all the way. so that might be the root of my problem

You can bet your ass.

Including what @Dutch Rutter and @TubeTruck said IIWY I'd drop the starter, buy new starter bolts, clean out the threads in the block, clean the mounting surfaces and reinstall it.

Also make certain you have the starter nose brace attached.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@TONKA I'd be curious as to why the bolt won't full seat. They have to be completely seated to work right as the shouldered areas need to sink into the block to hold correctly as well as to ground everything properly. I'd be making sure there isn't some bolt broken off in the hole and that the bolts are the correct ones, while you have it off, take down any paint between the starter and block.

If grinding while hot you could be experiancing a heat soaked starter. You can get velcro heat shield stuff for them. I added one and it's worked well even though I wasn't having a heat soak issue. Start with what snoots said and if needed go from there but I'm betting on those bolts being the culprit.

TONKA

Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The one thing i havnt done yet is shims so im going to try that today (30 thou on the outer bolt) looks like its just to tight. and don't tell my dad but ive got like 4 washers closing the gap between the heat of the bolt and the starter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shake1969