Poll -Would doing a LS swap in a CLEAN 1987 V10 INCREASE to DECREASE VALUE?

Would doing a LS swap in a CLEAN 1987 V10 INCREASE to DECREASE VALUE?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jwernatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
5.7ltr
My '87 is clean -Im currently doing a restoration on it - interior, rubber, door treatments etc etc…

I'm needing to re-do heads - and it's got a160k miles on it. and truth be known, it seems a little tired too…. I don't want to redo heads and in near future have issue with bottom end.

So, Im considering...

1. Rebuilding the existing 350
  2. Swapping for a remanufactured 350 same as factory
  3. LS SWAP -
Do you think taking an original 350 and professionaly swapping it to an LS will devalue the truck? My truck is very clean, ZERO rust -

**this is simply a 'whats your opinion' — I understand, it's up to the buyer & or the user - There are pros and cons to everything - basic question if it's positive to value, how much so, and if it's a negavtive to value - how big? in your option of 'course.

Personally,
I think it will, but not a lot— but that's just my opinion. :33:

Im just curious what you guys think.

(and should I have posted in a different place?)

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
There's too many variables. Generally I would say no, it will not increase the value. But if the swap is done extremely nice and tidy, it will not hurt the value. Which that is a variable as well. A clean and tidy LS swap to one person may not be clean and tidy to another.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Agree, not a black n white answer, IMO.

And I couldn't vote one way or another.
But I'll add that if a DD truck that you plan on keeping and driving the wheels off of, I'd LS it 100%.
If it's going to be a shiny clean resto mod Sunday driver, I'd flip a coin between a BIG LS or BIG block.

If you're simply interested in preserving as much intrinsic value in the truck whether keeping or selling, IMO, clean, original (ish at least), least amount of butchery and as good of mechanical and physical condition will generally be more preferable. That's what I was after when I bought the '86 last year.
Even the 80s trucks are starting to become collectible these days.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
There are still a lot of C/Ks still on the road, finding an all original C/K is increasingly difficult. In one way or another they have been modified.

Just because a C/K sold on Barrett Jackson for 30k doesn't make every C/K worth 10k no matter the condition.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You will never get your investment back in value. It's not a collectors item. That said, what's it worth to YOU? You want to drive it regularly or work on it regularly? Since I put true EFI (PF-4), modern A/C (Vintage Air), Overdrive (NV4500), Modern Gauges (Dakota Digital)....I LOVE driving it almost daily. I'll never get the money back but that's irrelevant. I knew that going in.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
While I am not a fan of "LS swap the world"
I can see the value if you want to drive the crap out of it for the next 10 years.

But I like the look of a well cooked small/big block package in an older vehicle.
They can put down all the miles you want as well as any other engine.
Just put a modern overdrive transmission behind it and go to town.

I have a 1954 Bel Air and I seen to always get asked why I want to put a big block into it and not an LS.
For me it is a looks thing.
LS swaps are great at being what they are and also handling all the boosts thrown at them by the turbo guys.
But when I pop the hood, I just get all tingly inside when the bad mamajamma that just drove by me is an old school engine in an old school engine bay.
Paint detailed and a proper drizzle of chrome just do it for me.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Clean ls swap will not hurt, but not necessarily greatly increase value. Poor swap will hurt the value

Salty Crusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
As long as you're taking care of the engine that's in it, you'll have no problems with the bottom end. Have the heads rebuilt and put 'em back on and drive it.

Unless your truck is perfect right now, you'll spend more on the LS swap than it's worth now and definitely won't double the value. Since you're already TBI, you won't pick up any fuel related reliability.

Jwernatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
5.7ltr
It will increase the value (as long as it's done right) but you will not get back what you invest so it is a money sink.

Yes - I see that. Im so on the fence. May just put a little into the heads and go with back with all new sensors - i do like its all original.

Especially when its clean likw now ...

You must be registered for see images attach

Jwernatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
5.7ltr
As long as you're taking care of the engine that's in it, you'll have no problems with the bottom end. Have the heads rebuilt and put 'em back on and drive it.

Unless your truck is perfect right now, you'll spend more on the LS swap than it's worth now and definitely won't double the value. Since you're already TBI, you won't pick up any fuel related reliability.

Thats what im leaning towards this morning - i want to finish the interior - wet sand and clear it. Drive it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg