Please Help can't disconnect speedo cable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mr4454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hello,
For the life of me I can't figure out how to disconnect the speedo cable..., I can't find how to do it
can someone please tell me in detail how. Yes, obviously I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. I have included pics .
I tried removing the speedo from the cluster, and can't get it out. Please explain in full detail.
Thanks in advance
You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Well that's an odd one. That should just slide out of there and still be in the cable sheath. The sheath is what holds the cable to the speedo.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Hello,
For the life of me I can't figure out how to disconnect the speedo cable..., I can't find how to do it
can someone please tell me in detail how. Yes, obviously I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. I have included pics .
I tried removing the speedo from the cluster, and can't get it out. Please explain in full detail.
Thanks in advance

You've done everything - to disconnect the cable - correctly.

While the design of the spring clip (that secures the outer sheathing to the back of the cluster) has varied over time, the method of coupling the actual inner cable to the speedometer head has not.

The end of the inner flexible cable has a square tang pressed on to it. That tang is inserted into a similarly sized/shaped square hole in the speedometer head when the outer sheathing is snapped into the clip. IOW, you don't have to do anything - other than push the nipple into the clip. The inner cable seats itself.

You will most likely have to just go Neanderthal on it's ass. Try gabbing the inner brass spool piece with some Channelocks and rocking the cable CW/CCW. Sorry buddy, that's all I've got.

mr4454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey thank you for the advice, I have one of those lucks ( if there is a bad one in the bunch I'll pick it everytime :). I'll try yanking on it.
I'm sure I'll have many more questions as I just started my very first resto. Thanks again

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

Latest posts