Please help a lost fool….

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BearKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bear
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I am trying fix what the previous owner messed up on my 1977 Chevy K10 step side. The wiring in the engine bay is a complete mess. He has a push button hooked up to the dash to start the truck. I changed out the stee column today because he broke the old one. It now has a key that works as it should but I still need to hit the push button to start it after the key is on. It didn’t have a locking column before. Does anyone have a readable wiring diagram for the 1977 Chevy K10 trucks? I can’t find a legible one to help me trace out the mess. Thanks in advance fellas. I really appreciate it.

Rich Adams

Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Did you try hooking the two wires into the push button together yet? Sounds like you just need to eliminate that out of the circuit now.

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Did you try hooking the two wires into the push button together yet? Sounds like you just need to eliminate that out of the circuit now.

Just a safety thing got me thinking if previous owner just ran a hot from fuse box and cut the starter wire as soon as he turn the key on it may start the truck and keep starter inguaged.

Now if the push button only works when the key is turned all the way to the start position then have to push the push button your good to go.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
I have a push button on two of my vehicles (my '63 Grand Prix, and my '74 Chevelle).

The starter circuit was so old and decrepit (apparently) that they wouldn't crank off the key anymore. I thought it was a battery issue but adding a second battery in the trunk did not solve it.

The button is located in the ashtray where the cigarette lighter used to be. I turn the key to "on", hit the button to get the starter to spin and away I go. No problems after that.

K

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84