Places to offroad in Upper Midwest

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
I'm looking for some! We have one in Marseilles, IL called The Cliffs but they are closing to trucks sometime around the end of the year, they will be ATV, Dirt bike, and side by side only. Then there is The Badlands in Attica, Indiana. Anything anyone knows about in Wisconsin? Michigan? Iowa is flat, not sure what they have there, maybe a big mud pit?

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
they are closing to trucks sometime around the end of the year, they will be ATV, Dirt bike, and side by side only.

I hate this ^

Everywhere is becoming atv and sxs only :(

Its been reduced around here to only a couple places legally, and a couple places to go illegally... but "toughlite" in particular no trucks are allowed... and if you DO take the truck, better bring more... some of those holes will flat sink some trucks... not to mention i hear the cops will be waiting on you at the entrance ... eek :baby:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I'm looking for some! We have one in Marseilles, IL called The Cliffs but they are closing to trucks sometime around the end of the year, they will be ATV, Dirt bike, and side by side only. Then there is The Badlands in Attica, Indiana. Anything anyone knows about in Wisconsin? Michigan? Iowa is flat, not sure what they have there, maybe a big mud pit?
north western wisconsin would not be your friend. hills, trees, farmland. no in between, so the trails and etc are all narrow and pass on private lands etc. southern part of state may be different but then you are basically in Illinois so obviously you wouldnt want to do that

TubeTruck

Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
north western wisconsin would not be your friend. hills, trees, farmland. no in between, so the trails and etc are all narrow and pass on private lands etc. southern part of state may be different but then you are basically in Illinois so obviously you wouldnt want to do that

I prefer the hills, trees, and rocks, and I'm already in northern IL which is why I am looking elsewhere! lol
I've read that almost everything around here is private land. I miss my New England trails where you drive down the road and see a trail and take it and no one says anything.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Silver lake sand dunes in Michigan.
And Ive never been but rocks and valleys in Harrison, MI

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
Come to Kentucky we got a off road park so nasty here your either going to hurt your truck or injure the driver.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

Parts of Iowa are flat. But a lot of it is far from flat. As for legal areas to go wheeling, I can't say. But "B" maintenance roads after a heavy rain storm can be a lot of fun I suppose and that's legal, lol.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I prefer the hills, trees, and rocks, and I'm already in northern IL which is why I am looking elsewhere! lol
I've read that almost everything around here is private land. I miss my New England trails where you drive down the road and see a trail and take it and no one says anything.
yeah a lot of private around here.

EvilGenius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Darien
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I've never been, but Drummond Island in the Upper Peninsula is an awesome off-road spot from what I've seen of other people's travels. Trails of all difficulties too, stock to crazy modified.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
I believe there’s a park just north of Detroit, south of Mt Holly. I’m not sure if trucks can use it but I know a filly who rides his trials bike there. I think he said it was built by Ford for a Bronco commercial or something. It does have big letters that spell out bronco on the side of the hill.

TubeTruck

Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
I've never been, but Drummond Island in the Upper Peninsula is an awesome off-road spot from what I've seen of other people's travels. Trails of all difficulties too, stock to crazy modified.

I have heard of it and plan on going there some day for a nice week long getaway.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Why no trucks? What's the difference between what a truck will tear up and what a Jeep will tear up? If, that is, that's what they're worried about. Environmentalists are declaring that off roading is destroying the land. Well, it's a little late to be complaining about the land being tore up since a lot of these trails have been in existance for decades. Where I live it's ATV's that absolutely wreck the trails in the woods. Those guys will rip through, where before was a nice nature trail, and I'm not saying anything about off roading in preference to walking trails, but you talk about ripping up the ground, what with super knobby tires on some of those "ATV's is just horrendous!

There was miles of woods behind where we used to live out in the country for many years. Seven miles to be exact, from my house all the way to the Texas border. By myself I cut a trail for several hundred yards through the woods so we could have a nature trail we could walk through. It was very nice for some time until, that is, the guys with these bad ass ATV's found it. After they were done ripping down the trail I made, for like a whole Summer put ruts down the length of it that had some places had ruts three feet deep. It was so bad you couldn't walk down the trail anymore. The way I made this trail, there was heavy undergrowth and small trees next to the trail you couldn't get through in many places. It took me a month to hack out everything down to the dirt so you could walk down it about five feet wide. I used a machete, a axe, a brush saw, shovel, and limb loppers. If I had a big tree in the way I went around it. So the trail was very windy. They didn't care.

When they destroyed this trail they left and didn't come back anymore. Thanks for destroying something that before everyone could enjoy, and after they were done no one could enjoy it anymore!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell