Pilot Bushing ? for the masses.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Bushing-bearing whatever. What I want to know is under what condition does the input shaft turn at a different speed than the crankshaft? My Goodwrench motor came with a bronze bushing. My Clutch came with a roller bearing.

What say y'all?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Bushing-bearing whatever. What I want to know is under what condition does the input shaft turn at a different speed than the crankshaft? My Goodwrench motor came with a bronze bushing. My Clutch came with a roller bearing.

What say y'all?

Any time the clutch is depressed, the input shaft and crank turn at different speeds.As for preference roller or bushing I don't really have one, I've seen both fail and I've seen both last for decades.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I think the depth that your trans input rides in the pilot is the most important.

The thing I liked about the McLeod bearing that came with your clutch was the depth front to back. It has that collar that bottoms out on the crank for added input shaft support.

With the standard pilot bushing, you don’t necessarily drive it all the way into the crank. You’re supposed to check how far the input shaft goes and possibly not press the bushing all the way in to increase support for the input shaft.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That's kind of what I was thinking. So I'll assume that sitting idle while holding the clutch in causes excessive wear to some degree, the TO bearing and the pilot bushing.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
That's kind of what I was thinking. So I'll assume that sitting idle while holding the clutch in causes excessive wear to some degree, the TO bearing and the pilot bushing.
Yep. You are supposed to sit at the light in neutral.Its also hard on the thrust bearing

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@Frankenchevy ,

I checked that, but decided to leave the factory bushing in the crank. The bushing was flush with the crank flange surface. What surprised me was that there was like 3/8th inch more space behind the bushing. I was surprised the bore was that deep.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I think the depth that your trans input rides in the pilot is the most important.

The thing I liked about the McLeod bearing that came with your clutch was the depth front to back. It has that collar that bottoms out on the crank for added input shaft support.

With the standard pilot bushing, you don’t necessarily drive it all the way into the crank. You’re supposed to check how far the input shaft goes and possibly not press the bushing all the way in to increase support for the input shaft.

How did you know what bearing, bushing, and clutch kit he has?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
@Frankenchevy ,

I checked that, but decided to leave the factory bushing in the crank. The bushing was flush with the crank flange surface. What surprised me was that there was like 3/8th inch more space behind the bushing. I was surprised the bore was that deep.
Did you not put a new factory bushing in?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Lol. He's a stalker:hidesbehindsofa:

LOL. Really I did.

I was at Wal-Mart I kept seeing this same woman in every aisle I went down I looked at her and said geez ,I go to Wal mart and end up with a stalker. She says it's funny when you say it, when I say it, security takes you out of the building.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Did you not put a new factory bushing in?

Nope. It's a new crate engine that had an auto in it. The factory bushing was still new. Just a little lube and in went the shaft....input shaft.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
@Frankenchevy ,

I’m sure you’re fine either way as long as you aren’t in the habit of sitting on the clutch at a stop.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Bushing for an automatic, bearing for a manual. That's what I've been told. My manuals have bearings and I've never had a problem. Never had a problem with bushings in the auto vehicles but why take chances?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Wait until the day you go to do an auto to manual swap or swap a used engine in and discover its not machined for a pilot bushing. It happened with a 455 olds had to take the crank out and have it machined for a pilot bushing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128