Pillar mount unity spotlight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Thinking of adding one to my truck. If you have one that you may want to part with, let me know.

You must be registered for see images attach

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
If you do this and you could do a write up on it, I’d be very interested in that. I want to do this to my Caprice one day.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I installed a set on my K5 back in the early 90's. I worked for a police department and every year we were replacing cars, so I had an unlimited supply of 6" lights. Install is pretty easy. The main thing you need is the install kit with the correct post bracket. It comes with a metal sleeve the the drill rides in while you're drilling out the post.

Remember there are different lengths of shafts for the lights. The Unity catalog says your truck should be 14.5" center to center and 9" exposed shaft. I know on my K5 I used a set out of a 1990 Crown Vic. I liked those better because the center to center is only 13" with a 7.5" exposed shaft. That way I wasn't banging my hand on the handles. I don't know/think the CV lights would work on an 81-87 dash as those stick out a little further on the driver's side..

https://www.unityusa.com/Application-Search_ep_77.html

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I installed a set on my K5 back in the early 90's. I worked for a police department and every year we were replacing cars, so I had an unlimited supply of 6" lights. Install is pretty easy. The main thing you need is the install kit with the correct post bracket. It comes with a metal sleeve the the drill rides in while you're drilling out the post.

Remember there are different lengths of shafts for the lights. The Unity catalog says your truck should be 14.5" center to center and 9" exposed shaft. I know on my K5 I used a set out of a 1990 Crown Vic. I liked those better because the center to center is only 13" with a 7.5" exposed shaft. That way I wasn't banging my hand on the handles. I don't know/think the CV lights would work on an 81-87 dash as those stick out a little further on the driver's side..

https://www.unityusa.com/Application-Search_ep_77.html

I have a 78 so it sounds like the crown Vic lights will work better. You don't have an extra laying around do you lol

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Just steal one off a cop car! Lol just kidding

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I would like to have one too. Our 74 K20 came with one. It was a year old when we got it.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I have a 78 so it sounds like the crown Vic lights will work better. You don't have an extra laying around do you lol

Unfortunately no. I retired a few years ago.

The last year I recall patrols cars having stainless light heads was 1997. In 1998, they switched to the black plastic ones.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Unfortunately no. I retired a few years ago.

The last year I recall patrols cars having stainless light heads was 1997. In 1998, they switched to the black plastic ones.
Worth a shot anyway lol. Black plastic, I always figured it was a black metal housing. I learned something new today.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
If you do this and you could do a write up on it, I’d be very interested in that. I want to do this to my Caprice one day.
Well I finally got my hands on one. I’m going to take it apart and grease the mechanism as it sounds kind of gritty, and then I’m planning on doing a write up if I can convince myself to drill the hole.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Sorry to pee on the whole spotlight thing,.. because I understand it's more about the look than the spotlight,...

but I'd be much happier with a handheld rechargeable LED spotlight than drilling a hole through my roof pillar. Because I've really needed a spotlight at least no times since I've owned any vehicle.

But I do understand it's more of an aesthetic thing. Hope it works out like you want.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Well I finally got my hands on one. I’m going to take it apart and grease the mechanism as it sounds kind of gritty, and then I’m planning on doing a write up if I can convince myself to drill the hole.

I'd really think about drilling a hole in your A pillar. The previous owner of my 77 Jimmy did that, he said it leaked all the time, and the handle was in the way. It's your truck, and I understand the part of wanting something like that, but they do make pug in spot lights that are just as bright, if not brighter.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size

Understandable. Definitely sounds like there are cons to consider from the couple of above comments.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
It is more of an aesthetic thing, and I know there are better options out there. But I can at least say I have one tucked away IF I decide to go through with it. And it’s so purdy! It looks like a new one.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I had my spot lights in my K5 for several years before I sold the truck and never had any leaks. I was also a police officer for 27 years and not once can I even recall someone complaining about the light leaking in all the cars we had over the years, 200-300 between the 2 departments I worked for.

Being a cop, I used the light regularly at work, but used the one in my K5 quite a bit too. Now that I live in the mountains, I could use them a lot more than when I was in the suburbs.

@bigcountry78 you have the newer style light head. The newer patrol vehicle can be ordered with a 6" LED light that should fit right into your housing. Not cheap though.

If you choose to drill the pillar, just be sure to clamp the bracket. If not, the drill can over power the mounting screws.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8