Perfect time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

geolee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
george
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I been messing with my 92 350 trying to figure out where it runs the best I put a new edelbrock intake and carb. Msd distributor and wires, new cam/lifters, gear drive and electric fuel pump. Seems like everything you read or hear is different lol. What do you all run on ur old small blocks?

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Personally, I have come to like the elderbrock, got sick of one of mine running like crap and learned how to tune the thing. Felt purty stupid when I learned how simple they are. Far as ignition cams and such, stock, except one and it's a running old thing, but it come that way so won't know till it need a rebuild.

geolee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
george
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Personally, I have come to like the elderbrock, got sick of one of mine running like crap and learned how to tune the thing. Felt purty stupid when I learned how simple they are. Far as ignition cams and such, stock, except one and it's a running old thing, but it come that way so won't know till it need a rebuild.
I definitely agree I'm a edelbrock guy all the way. I learned everything just by working on my 84. Ask some guys you know what they like to set the timing at and I bet every one says something different even if its stock lol

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
The compression on a stock 350 isn’t ridiculous so it can handle 10*-12* base. I’d do as much as possible without it pinging. A 305 can’t do that much in my experience, but that’s a different story altogether.

If the overall setup works for you, no point in doing a shakeup. If you don’t have mechanical pump provisions on the motor or the cam eccentric is worn out, the electric is understandable, but if there’s a way, I’d leave the electric pump at the door. The ones that sit in the tank are a solid, proven design while the ones that mount externally are junk, but either way, having the mechanical pump right there in front of you is a no-brainer. Edelbrock is a good company, but I’m not one to seek their carbs out. I grant that they work, but I like Holley for the aftermarket option and prefer to stick to OEM 99.9% of the time. The Quadrajet might be the most advanced carb design challenged only by the Thermoquad. Why make fire by rubbing two sticks together when you can just use a lighter?

This is generally a loaded topic, and while I have my reasons and could rattle them off even longer, everyone has an opinion so take it for what it is.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
The compression on a stock 350 isn’t ridiculous so it can handle 10*-12* base. I’d do as much as possible without it pinging. A 305 can’t do that much in my experience, but that’s a different story altogether.

If the overall setup works for you, no point in doing a shakeup. If you don’t have mechanical pump provisions on the motor or the cam eccentric is worn out, the electric is understandable, but if there’s a way, I’d leave the electric pump at the door. The ones that sit in the tank are a solid, proven design while the ones that mount externally are junk, but either way, having the mechanical pump right there in front of you is a no-brainer. Edelbrock is a good company, but I’m not one to seek their carbs out. I grant that they work, but I like Holley for the aftermarket option and prefer to stick to OEM 99.9% of the time. The Quadrajet might be the most advanced carb design challenged only by the Thermoquad. Why make fire by rubbing two sticks together when you can just use a lighter?

This is generally a loaded topic, and while I have my reasons and could rattle them off even longer, everyone has an opinion so take it for what it is.

Well said. I wish I could get an old Q jet to run like they did back in the 80's 90's, but for some reason I cant. Seems I can, then get gas, then they don't?? Been a long time since I've tried. Do not know if the old castings are just wore out, the kits are junk, or I'm just old and stupid and can't get one tuned any more, I dunno?? 3 and 1 are my guess. Plus we are trying to tune and run carbs that were made to run on gasoline with corn whiskey now sooo. I will be the first to agree that there is not a better carb on a chevy truck than a good properly working Q jet, but By Gawd, when they don't work, set a man to chewin nails. So, ran into elderbrock, like them, easy to tune run good, don't leak, stay tuned...ish (again I believe it's the fuel) so personally I like them and get along with them. Not a doubt in my mind Holley is a great carb, but I know nothing about them, honestly unless I have a big problem with the elderbrocks doubt I'll ever have a reason to learn.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128