PCV routing check

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coal creek Chris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
7.4L
The veci is on the cleaner right? If it matches best it can it’s prob the original
No, the VECI sticker is not on the air cleaner, but is on the body. Not sure what the part is called, but it's the body part that serves as the upper radiator support/cross member if that makes sense.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
No, the VECI sticker is not on the air cleaner, but is on the body. Not sure what the part is called, but it's the body part that serves as the upper radiator support/cross member if that makes sense.
along the core support/radiator bracket

59840Surfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
350 Stroker to 383 with a 400 crank, Crane Cam, Q-Jet, single 3.5" exhaust..
The "Bow Tie" filter was on the KV side of the PCV system. It was a fiber mat material that allowed excessive crankshaft fumes to go out there if the PCV couldn't handle the correct flow direction during that time.

This was to keep the crankcase at times from being positively charged as there would always be a place to dump the pressure without letting it out to the atmosphere. Fumes went down the carb throat.

That fiber element inside the air filter assembly could also inhale through it's own filter into the crankcase when the PCV was actually working up to capacity and with idle-to-higher "normal" RPM. That way the crankcase could not get excessive vacuum in it, causing other troubles,

This flow of vacuum/pressure provided a vapor sweeping process to remove crankcase fumes - blowby and noxious gases and condensate from the crankcase, keeping it clean.

The CV-side of the PCV is the actual self-throttling valve with the little spring and rattling valve that plugged into the smaller grommet on the valve cover, whereas the larger grommet had the KV side pipe or fitting in it.

The higher the vacuum goes, the valve closes harder. Low vacuum, it's open all the way and usually rattles a little bit.

The PCV (Positive ventilation Valve - or Pollution Control Valve --- the word "valve" is redundant here) was attached to a convenient port usually under the carb - or in some cases into the carb itself - to provide manifold vacuum to draw through that PC valve down the intake runners to burn off the fumes.

That little 90° bent steel tube inside the filtered area - was for the A.I.R (Air Injection Reaction) pump suction so it would draw in clean air for the air injection - this was found mostly on motorhomes over 60001 lbs GVWR.
► Otherwise, the AIR pump drew air in through it's own filter around the diameter of the pulley with reverse fins to inhale fresh air. It was moving so fast that any debris would be slung out of the vanes and never enter the pump.

But since the BBs in the HD vehicles and motorhomes were not gonna typically get to 5000 RPM --- they used that other AIR intake like I mentioned in that 90° pipe inside the main air filter.

I hope that clarifies things a little bit.

Last edited:

59840Surfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
double post.

59840Surfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I remember whenit came time to change the air cleaner there would be oil pooled all along the curved lower portion of the lower housing that had dripped out from that useless filter. Now you do have a oil bath filter because I look at the air cleaner and it would be soaked all along one side of the filter material. Thinking about how much oil must have entered the carb I'm bordering on having a diesel engine than a gasoline internal combustion engine!
OIL in that location means that there's a really high amount of blowby. That "useless filter" in your opinion, works in a decent engine but it can drip oil in a junk engine with junk rings and lots of blowby.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
The PCV (Positive ventilation Valve - or Pollution Control Valve --- the word "valve" is redundant here) was attached to a convenient port usually under the carb - or in some cases into the carb itself - to provide manifold vacuum to draw trough that PC valve down the intake runners to burn off the fumes.

Just for a little more clarity:
P- Positive C- Crankcase V- Ventilation

The PCV is the name of the whole system you perfectly described. The PCV valve is just one part of the whole system.

"Pollution Control Valve" If Ralph Nader heard you say that, he'd have a heart attack.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

The PCV is the name of the whole system you perfectly described. The PCV valve is just one part of the whole system.

"Pollution Control Valve" If Ralph Nader heard you say that, he'd have a heart attack.
id call him a nerd for having a heart attack over something like nomenclature :)

59840Surfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size

"Pollution Control Valve" was the correct answer on the California Smog Installers' and Adjusters' test --- I just stuck with it.

Did you know that the most important part of any vehicle is the battery?

California thought so - and that's the one question I missed on the test.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Gotta love California, make there own rules for everything. And every mechanic knows, the worst part of any vehicle is the nut that holds the steering wheel!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
"Pollution Control Valve" was the correct answer on the California Smog Installers' and Adjusters' test --- I just stuck with it.

Did you know that the most important part of any vehicle is the battery?

California thought so - and that's the one question I missed on the test.
I think part requires defining and importance requires an objective qualifying replacement like "What is the most important system comprised of 1 or few parts" or something else. Because I see what they are going for on that test, but the battery in a 1996 cummins equipped dodge truck is far less important than in my 1980 gmc but both are nowhere near the absolute necessity of the 2019 ford f150 for the battery. And if thats true, california, why are we looking at tailpipe emissions and not battery load tests or checking the dates and casings for damage/bulging, looking for obscene corrosion on the posts, dictating that all cable and posts systems be copper/brass on the battery and the cables and a check for hold-down torque and battery vent harnesses on all interior mounted batteries and insulation coats on batteries underhood for temp reduction and all cars having the BCM or similar system have complex load managment and charging controls from the PCMs, or algorithim charging schedules done to make them last as long as possible(some or many new cars have these things, but they are not mandatory by any means or common till recent).

Why dont we have a battery light that says SERVICE BATTERY SOON or Orange battery with a ! after it to differentiate from a red battery which means low charge. Hell it can be like ABS vs BRAKE.

oh wait, its not the most important part them

they have a lot of that stuff for that part. OBD2 covers it lol

What are you gonna do, appeal the test results or the content to CARB? They already have and continue to ignore factual realities and instead impose their wishful understanding onto reality as it be they have that power.

59840Surfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
There was the Delco "Eye" battery that told you of the water level condition inj one cell ...

You must be registered for see images attach

Actually --- California just enforces federal laws - even if California initiates many of the laws and rules for manufacturers.

They're fighting a losing battle - rotten administration and corruption from the top since Ogawa and Munday were shown the door and a new regime took over.

The air is steadily getting worse although the cars are cleaner and cleaner. It's just supersaturation of TMC --- too many cars.

I had to leave 15 years ago for the sake of my COPD and although I miss the ocean and the High Sierras, I ain't going back.

BRetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franklin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I would say the most important part of any EV in California would have to be:

DIABLO CANYON NUCLEAR POWER PLANT

But California politicians clearly have no effing idea where electricity comes from, other than the obvious source: Lobbyists.

If CA doesn't wake up and maybe NOT CLOSE DOWN the source of 10% of the state's power, there will be a drastic crash here as blackouts and rationing become normal. I have never seen something so utterly destructive done deliberately (and with public "approval") in my 50+ years on Earth.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes