Parts interchangeable between 6.2L from different years?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JukkaV

Reaction score
First Name
Jukka
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
350 D
Hello,

I have an 6.2L engine in parts and originally it is from K-2500 truck (year 1992). Unfortunately some parts are missing (like valve lifter quide clamp) or broken (timing chain front cover).

Question is that are the 6.2L engine parts well interchangeable between the different manufacturing years. Like how does the parts from the 1989 engine (from G-20 van) fit to that -92 engine? I know that placing of accessories like alternator and belt system is different but how about the engine itself?

My project is to rebuilt that -92 engine and place it to C-10 Scottsdale from -81. Now it has an original 5.7D.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I’m not the best with the 6.2s, but I didn’t want your post to slide under the rug. I believe the earlier one would be a C-code 6.2, and the later one would be a J-code 6.2. There shouldn’t be too many differences besides the head design with regard to the pre-combustion chambers, emissions stuff, injector nozzles, and maybe the IP. I think all the stuff is interchangeable between sub-models, though. Maybe someone will follow me up.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Thanks for bumping this. I had seen it but didn't have time to respond, then I forgot it.

A VIN "C" engine is a light duty, a VIN "J" engine is heavy duty. The long blocks should match year for year, the main differences were the EGR on the light duty and the injection pump.

There were several changes over the years, particularly when they shared the production line with the 6.5L. The most significant thing that could cause you a problem is the switch to the upright manifold bolts vs the angled type. AFAIK the heads will fit any engine, but the intake manifolds have to match the bolt configuration. There was also a configuration change in the heads on the precombustion chambers and injector installation angle which required different injector lines. Also, injectors vary among different applications. IIRC earlier vans and Suburbans used a shorter injector than the pickups. Also, '82 heads are unique. They were prone to cracking and used a coarse-thread injector. You should probably avoid those.

There are also other differences like the crankcase ventilation configuration, glow plug sensors and controls and such but that is mostly external things that can be swapped as long as you have all the pieces from the donor engine.

The lifter guides and timing cover are probably interchangeable. I'm not aware of any changes made in those items, but you will have to do a side-by-side to be sure.

JukkaV

Reaction score
First Name
Jukka
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
350 D
Thanks for you both,

The -92 engine is C model and I assume that the donor engine from -89 is also (I have not received yet).

I took some pics and the intake manifold bolts seems to be upright type. Cylinder head has a casting number 14057299 but I do not know what kind of specs it indicates. Cylinder block itself has a number 10149599 so it should be the stonger casting version.

Present injectors are Bosch 0430211054.
I hope that injectors and injector lines are the same on both engines referring to this https://www.accuratediesel.com/shop/68.html
If it is the case I assume that injector installation angle is the same between engines?... hopefully.

One thing which is mystery is the serpentine belt routing on -92 K-2500 truck. I do not have the necessary brackets (also alternator and steering pump needs to be purchased) so it is difficult to find out.

Vacuum pump is different between those engines (truck vs van) if I'm right. This is a bit suprising because both are belt driven and location towards block is the same...

Any advice on these matters is still wellcome.

You must be registered for see images attach

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Some of the vacuum pumps were driven off the back of the camshaft like a distributor.
Several years had an engine RPM sensor on the cam driven vacuum pump. Dr Lee Swanger used this sensor to drive a tach with an amplifier circuit. The writeup is on a pay site.
There were at least two different injector heights. I believe the Van and very early 6.2L engines used short ones.

If you can source the 1990's 6.5L round fuel filter manager that fits in the rear of the intake valley I highly recommend using that rather than the leaky obnoxious firewall mounted Stanadyne 80 box filter.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8