Painting interior trim

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Westislander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gregg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
has anyone had good results painting their interior vinyl trim pieces? I would like to change my blue interior to black. If the results are going to look half-assed I would rather get new panels

crpntr78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I painted mine black from blue as well. The only trouble I've had with the paint is it scratches off in places, like at the window roll up handles. Friction from your hand wears through.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Never seem to last, at least for me

Westislander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gregg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I was looking at a product like Color Bond that claims to chemically bond to the trim to prevent peeling or rubbing through

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
With proper prep, SEM vinyl/plastic paint holds up very well.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Sem paint needs adhesive promoter used to actually stick. Otherwise it easily scratches off. But some properly done trim seem to eventually rub off as well.

But a lot of newer oem interior trim is painted as well with similar long term results. At least I have seen a lot of 99-2005ish gm trucks with dashes that start wearing down to black in a lot of places

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Sem paint needs adhesive promoter used to actually stick. Otherwise it easily scratches off. But some properly done trim seem to eventually rub off as well.

But a lot of newer oem interior trim is painted as well with similar long term results. At least I have seen a lot of 99-2005ish gm trucks with dashes that start wearing down to black in a lot of places

I've had no troubles with it even in high wear areas. And that's without using adhesion promoter. If done right, it can still get scratched off, but it will be taking plastic with it.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
The key to painting is prep. Get yourself some TSP, some gloves, and take them out in the driveway and take them apart all the way, then clean well with water and dawn dish soap. Once you get that far then take your water bucket and mix up the TSP as instructions include on the box and wash it up and then clean it again. After they are dried up go get you some proper paint prep solvent and wipe them down well and be sure and wear some nitrile type gloves to keep your greasy hands off the plastics and stuff. Paint with some good interior/plastic adhesion promoter and then lay on your paint.

It's a pain to do right, but if you do it right and follow all those steps you can usually get a really good finish that is durable, and for high wear areas, like arm rests and what not I will usually get some flat clear and put it over the paint in layers. I like my stuff to look clean but not necessarily shiny so that is why I turn to flat. I also seem to feel it layers up better without the risk of running or causing a drip.

Hope that helps some

Oh also, TSP is Tri Sodium Phosphate. Good for etching and cleaning hard to clean surfaces, like concrete, metal, and plastics that lack a lot of tooth. I'd use some red scotch brite with that for generating a surface with as much tooth as possible.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Just my tidbit. I'd go with a flat black, not a gloss black. The gloss shiney black looks like a cheap rattle can paint job IMO. Maybe it is just that, an opinion, but I've never liked the gloss black painted interiors but have really like the flat or dull black.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
I'm a big fan of paint it black and put it back, so I definitely agree on flat black to start with. But that is just because I am not into shining and polishing things, lol...

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
On my 76 I used the 2x rustoleum, found a color that matched the OE saddle color perfectly. I scrubbed them with soap and water then right before I painted them wiped them with some denatured alcohol. Light coats and let fully cure before reinstallation.

This is how it has held up with a year and a half of daily driving.
You must be registered for see images attach
It hasn't worn terribly considering that these door panels had completely sun faded and become brittle and turn into dust. The areas where it has fallen off is where the plastic underneath has come off.

I also did the dash pad cover, same prep method, has held up excellently as the plastic isn't degraded

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Just my tidbit. I'd go with a flat black, not a gloss black. The gloss shiney black looks like a cheap rattle can paint job IMO. Maybe it is just that, an opinion, but I've never liked the gloss black painted interiors but have really like the flat or dull black.

SEM Landau Black has that "just right" amount of gloss. Like factory.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
On my 76 I used the 2x rustoleum, found a color that matched the OE saddle color perfectly. I scrubbed them with soap and water then right before I painted them wiped them with some denatured alcohol. Light coats and let fully cure before reinstallation.

This is how it has held up with a year and a half of daily driving.
It hasn't worn terribly considering that these door panels had completely sun faded and become brittle and turn into dust. The areas where it has fallen off is where the plastic underneath has come off.

I also did the dash pad cover, same prep method, has held up excellently as the plastic isn't degraded
Im diggin your roadkill sticker! I have one on my square too. My favorite show

86Apache

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Marvin
Truck Year
79 , 86 , 82
Truck Model
C10's ,K20
Engine Size
250 six, 350's
has anyone had good results painting their interior vinyl trim pieces? I would like to change my blue interior to black. If the results are going to look half-assed I would rather get new panels

How badly worn are they?

On my 86 C10 they were worn bad. Cleaned em good, sanded off the loose vinyl, hit them with a light coat of rattle can bed liner, duplo I think it was, gave em a very light sanding to knock the grit down a bit and rattle canned lightly over that. Certainly not factory but looked fine and wore well.

I plan to do the same with my "new" 82 K20.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes