1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paint Removal Suggestions

Discussion in 'Paint and Body' started by Rob Goblin, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Rob Goblin

Rob Goblin Junior Member

First Name:
    Rob
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C10
    Engine Size:
    So, I was thinking that this horrible paint job on my truck was just sprayed over the original paint since the jams are all original. My question is this: What would you suggest or have you had luck with removing paint to get to the original? I was thinking about trying some light sanding. If that is my best option, what grit would you guys suggest?

2. Rusty Nail

Rusty Nail Whatever! Supporting Member

First Name:
    Rusty
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C20, K5
    Engine Size:
    350, 350
    I have been removing a thick, drippy, old, primer job on my K5 with WINDEX and a red shop rag.

I'll take fresh DAYLIGHT pix tomorrow but in these taken last week you can clearly see great improvement over PRIMER, the black is comin back!

It reflects in some COLOR now, look!
    Shiny-er.

WINDEX.

20190913_195958.jpg

20190913_194825.jpg

I have only worked the areas within the highest body crease. You can easy see the stark difference but wait until tomorrows pix, i'll highlight exactly how much black came back, I have washed it since those pix but dude, the hood is moar sky colored than PRIMER.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    Rob Goblin likes this.
  3. legopnuematic

legopnuematic Supporting Member Supporting Member

First Name:
    Spencer
    Truck Year:
    1974, 1976, 1979, 1985
    Truck Model:
    Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10
    Engine Size:
    350 c.i., 350 c.i.
    Depending on how crappy the repaint was, you might be able to get it off with a good power washer, power washer and scotch brite pads. Comet cleaner can work well too with the scotch brite. Or wet sand.
    hood.jpg

Rob Goblin likes this.
  4. DanMcG

DanMcG Supporting Member Supporting Member

First Name:
    Dan
    Truck Year:
    1978 1985
    Truck Model:
    k10 k10
    Engine Size:
    305 350
    If it's a rattle can paint job, just use some thinner and it will wipe right off.

Rusty Nail likes this.
  5. Rob Goblin

Rob Goblin Junior Member

First Name:
    Rob
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C10
    Engine Size:
    It always amazes me when people put primer over perfectly good paint, especially when they do the entire car. I did this once when I was a teenager and immediately regretted it.

I know it won't come off with just a pressure washer, well it won't come off at the car wash anyway. I will give the scotch brite and comet a try before wet sanding. Maybe I'll be able to do that this weekend.

6. Cemack

Cemack Junior Member

First Name:
    Chris
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K15
    Engine Size:
    I am restoring my truck right now. It does not have a crappy paint job, but has enamel over lacquer paint with a primer sealer in between. I am using 80 grit sandpaper on a dual action sander. Once I have most of the paint down to bare metal I switch to a 120 grit on the dual action sander and remove everything as well as the few 80 grit scratches. I will then apply 2 part epoxy primer and then a 2 part high build primer an hour or 2 after spraying the epoxy. You are then ready for block sanding and wet sanding. You can also try aircraft paint remover. It works very well too, but then you are playing with chemicals and you have to be careful not to get it on paint you do not want to remove. When applying the remover be sure to only spread it in one direction. There are many videos on youtube on how to do this. I am a journeyman Autobody mechanic from Alberta Canada and can let you know the proper way to do anything.

If it is just a crappy paint over top of the original and you want to leave the original, try some paint thinner in a small unnoticeable area and see what happens