Paint engine compartment?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sqaurebodyrestore

Reaction score
First Name
Dale
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
I am restoring a 1986 GMC jimmy and currently have the body off the frame. I was wondering what other people have done with the front of cab right behind engine. It is barely exposed due to the ac condenser box, brake booster and most of the engine. I know from factory is matches exterior of truck. However, I have had people tell me that they have repainted it to match truck, sprayed it black gloss or black flat to match rest of innner fenders and core support. I have even seen a friend spray black bed liner on his because of all the black, tar/stuff that is on there from factory and he did not want to remove it all to repaint it.

I was looking for suggestions! I know it would a good time to do something now while body is off. Just not sure how much time I want put into it with cleaning all the tar stuff off and prepping it for paint. It is going to be a driver for the summer months not a garage queen.

Any advice?

CoggedBelt75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
My firewall was painted the body color, but for me, too much work keeping it clean driving everyday. So I sprayed undercoating on it and painted it and the inner fender wells and everything else but the inside of the fenders rattle can satin black. Also used chromed body bolts and rattle can aluminum on the springs.

You must be registered for see images attach

Edit...if I was doing a restore, myself, I would go with the body color.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I prefer black under the hood, core support, inner fender wells and walls, frame rails and the firewall. It got a little dirty since I've painted it.

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
Painted mine gloss black when the motor was out.
Eric

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
My firewall was painted the body color, but for me, too much work keeping it clean driving everyday. So I sprayed undercoating on it and painted it and the inner fender wells and everything else but the inside of the fenders rattle can satin black. Also used chromed body bolts and rattle can aluminum on the springs.

Damn sexy! I love that blower and bird catcher

CoggedBelt75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Damn sexy! I love that blower and bird catcher

Thanks. Actually the current one is a shotgun scoop. Here is the bug catcher I used to run...until the computer took a dump and I didn’t want to put another 2 grand in to replace it.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size

Thanks. Actually the current one is a shotgun scoop. Here is the bug catcher I used to run...until the computer took a dump and I didn’t want to put another 2 grand in to replace it.
Sorry, wrong terminology lol i love seeing the butterflies! Wich after a second look your dont have lol

CoggedBelt75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have them for the shotgun but took them back off...again. Less air restriction is my reasoning.

I do agree with you tho, this is what it looked like without the filter on, which I mostly 4an when it was raining.

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
Painting my k5 gray. It's originally black. I'll keep the firewall black to match the inner fenders. For the fenders, I will paint the top gray where the rubber hood bumpers are. The rest will stay black. Easier to keep a black engine bay looking clean.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I have them for the shotgun but took them back off...again. Less air restriction is my reasoning.

I do agree with you tho, this is what it looked like without the filter on, which I mostly 4an when it was raining.
SEXY!!!!! :naughty:thats how a v8 should look!!

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado Crew Cab Dually
Engine Size
Mine is two tone. Orange and black. There is a lot of good looking engine compartments here.

I really like that two tone! I may copy cat you a bit with that as I've been doing some cleaning up in my compartment and painting a few things orange and the blue in the pic has to GO!! Will be a bitch to do working around everythying but I bet I can Git-er-done.:cheers:

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado Crew Cab Dually
Engine Size

Your engine compartment could be painted the ugliest color possible and it would still look good with that Bad Ass engine sitting there!:cheers:

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Mine is covered with insulation so it's black, but blue underneath. Everybody's purposes are different, but there's a lot to be said for body color. It kind of ties the whole thing together and if it's a lighter color it makes things easier to see while you're Dorking around in there.

sqaurebodyrestore

Reaction score
First Name
Dale
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Thanks to all of you for the pics and the advice. I have some time to think about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dougli1