Oxy acetylene vs. Oxy propane who's done both?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
My oxy acetylene tanks are empty, I've always used oxy acetylene, but lately it seems everyone is running oxy propane. If I'm going to switch now would be a good time to do it. Advantages? Disadvantages? What all do I need to buy or change? Nearest welding supply place is over an hour from here so I want to be prepared. Don't want to have to make another trip because I didn't get everything the first trip. Thanks

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I don't think you have to change anything?

When I worked at a local junkyard, we ran propane and I don't recall running anything special. It's also been nearly 20 years since then, so I don't remember how it compared to acetylene, but it was nothing drastic, that's for sure.

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
If you do any gas welding, propane won't work.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
If you do any gas welding, propane won't work.

I can live without gas welding. Cutting, heating, and bending would be my use. From all I can gather all I have to do is change to a number 1 propane cutting tip, everything else stays the same from what I"ve read. Does that sound correct?

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Are the tank fittings the same?

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I don't think you have to change anything?

When I worked at a local junkyard, we ran propane and I don't recall running anything special. It's also been nearly 20 years since then, so I don't remember how it compared to acetylene, but it was nothing drastic, that's for sure.
I believe your right, here at my job we use propane too

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
From what I've read you have to change your cutting nozzle, evidently they make cutting nozzles specifically for propane.The fittings are the same. The advantages I've read are it is safer because acetylene has a wider combustion ratio as in like 2to1 will the way to 20 to 1 air fuel propane is like 4 to 1 thru 8 to 1. And those aren't the right numbers I don't remember the correct numbers. It's convienent if you run out of propane at 9pm Sat .night you can run to quik trip and pick up a tank. And suppose to be way cheaper. These only things that I've read, I have not confirmed anything. That's why I started this thread. I never gas weld anymore which some say you can, some say you can't with propane.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
We ran it at the junkyard for the cheaper cost. Never did any gas welding there either, just cutting. Lots and lots of cutting.

Skidmark97

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have used acetylene,propane,propalene and the good thing about propane is you can go to any gas station and get a refill in a pinch, the other good thing a tank lasts longer of comparable size and you can use the same guages as you were using for acetylene, You will need a propane specific tip if your cutting with it and they are probably 20 dollars at a welding supply , I cut a lot of large steel so up to 6 inch thick on bridges and it cuts fine but is harder to light in windy conditions, depending on what size tip you run ,if your steel is under 1 inch thick you can probably use a number 2 tip and pressure would probably be fine with around 10 psi propane and 40 to 50 oxygen , each tip has a recommended pressure to use but I would say that would work, I hope you get it figured out and good luck

boogieman

Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
The other thing that should be noted is that you should use hoses that are T rated. R rated hoses should only be used for acetylene. The oils in propane will eventually rot the R rated hosed from the inside out. There should be markings on the side of your hose about what you have.

tucker

Reaction score
First Name
tucker
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
i have run prop for years.the cuts with prop is not as clean but its cheaper.but never use a prop tip with acetylene it will burn the inside of the two piece prop tip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg