Overall height of brake rotor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedBeard_83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom deluxe
Engine Size
Sbc 350
So I looked all in the brake threads to no avail. I need to replace my front brakes and have come across many options of course. My question is how do I measure my overall height of my rotor? Its either 4.95" overall height or 4.65" overall height . just need to know how to measure mine so I can get the correct parts. It is a an 86 1/2 ton swb with 1.25" front rotors and the rear brake shoes are 2 3/4 if that helps.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
This overall height measurement of the rotor is not a traditional brake specification. I assume the "height" means the distance from the back friction surface to the wheel mounting surface?

You didn't say but I assume your truck is 2wd. Attached below are the brake worksheets that the engineers referenced in order to release the part numbers for production and service.

By your description of the front rotors and the rear brake shoe size you have the JB5 system. If you reference JB5 you should be able to order the correct parts (normally everybody recognizes the JB1/JB3/JB5/JB6/JB7/JB8 nomenclature).

K

You must be registered for see images attach

RedBeard_83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom deluxe
Engine Size
Sbc 350
This overall height measurement of the rotor is not a traditional brake specification. I assume the "height" means the distance from the back friction surface to the wheel mounting surface?

You didn't say but I assume your truck is 2wd. Attached below are the brake worksheets that the engineers referenced in order to release the part numbers for production and service.

By your description of the front rotors and the rear brake shoe size you have the JB5 system. If you reference JB5 you should be able to order the correct parts (normally everybody recognizes the JB1/JB3/JB5/JB6/JB7/JB8 nomenclature).

K

Truck is 2wd. This helps . rock auto is listing brake rotors by overall height and so is o'reilly autoparts .so was hoping someone could tell me how its measured . probably just gonna have to bring my rotors in and match them up . thank you @Keith Seymore . much appreciated.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
After further though I'd guess you want the 4.95. That .3" difference between the two is just about the same as the .25 difference in the thickness of the friction surface.

K

RedBeard_83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom deluxe
Engine Size
Sbc 350
After further though I'd guess you want the 4.95. That .3" difference between the two is just about the same as the .25 difference in the thickness of the friction surface.

K
That's what I was leaning towards. Thank you for the help . Got a lot to do in the next couple weeks. Waiting on rest of parts to arrive then redoing the frontend with all new stuff and lowering the truck 3" frt and 4" rear as well as replacing brakes front and rear .

jkrom

Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 stepside
Engine Size
sorry to hijack old thread, but I'm running into similar situation - all of the aftermarket parts places are using the "total rotor height" dimension to differentiate, but with no clear direction as to what that means.

@Keith Seymore , from my lurking here you seem to have the most knowledge on such things - My truck is an '85 stepside 305 / 3 on tree with manual brakes, is it safe to assume that's the JB1 RPO and likely the smaller 4.65" height?

Attachments

• truck build sheet.jpg
    truck build sheet.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 45

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8