Outdoor Storage, Cover and Suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
Life changes and I need to store my burb for at least a year. It's going to be parked outdoors, which it has been for it's whole life as you can tell.
But I was considering purchasing a car cover to protect what little paint is left and prevent interior sun fade.
Has anybody used a car cover for long term outdoor storage before? I'm not sure if it would help or hurt. Could it provide a better home for critters? Should I just leave it off or do they actually serve a purpose?

You must be registered for see images attach

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
My experience with a car cover is mixed. I used one for a short period to protect my car from a bad leak when it rained. My evaporator/heater core case was not sealing properly at the firewall and water would pour all over the floor and ECM. It did work for that purpose, but the cheapie one I got didn’t fit right at all. I think it’s better than nothing, and it will protect from precipitation and sun fading. I would think it may entice a birds’ nest in the spring (depending on how well it fits) more than if it was just sitting out in the open, but that’s about it. What about building a small carport where it’s gonna be? You definitely don’t want to leave it out in the open. That Burb has got one of the nicest interiors of anything on here.

roundhouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
77,78,79,80 ?
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Best thing is if you had a trusted friend or family member to keep it and drive it about once a week

When you get back the battery will be dead
Tires will have flat spots
Mice will be enjoying your wires and seats
Gasoline will be stale and carb all gunked up

Etc etc

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Dually
Engine Size
Life changes and I need to store my burb for at least a year. It's going to be parked outdoors, which it has been for it's whole life as you can tell.
But I was considering purchasing a car cover to protect what little paint is left and prevent interior sun fade.
Has anybody used a car cover for long term outdoor storage before? I'm not sure if it would help or hurt. Could it provide a better home for critters? Should I just leave it off or do they actually serve a purpose?

You must be registered for see images attach

Are you leaving the country? I'd go the car port/metal sade route if you have the room on your property.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
With car covers the results will be mixed but if you can keep the wind away from it and prevent it from tearing even a cheap one will help prevent sun fade but it might rub the paint in some places. A Suburban isn't exactly a small vehicle so finding one that fits and is affordable but not the size of a tent is probably the better challenge.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've found car covers to be kind of a pain. Just a basic and cheap cover will do a good job of protecting the interior and put a stop to water intrusion. But I can never get one to stay put when it gets breezy. Even when weighted down with brake rotors.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
I was thinking, maybe just a tarp to put over the windows and then some rope or twine strapped underneath to keep it on. That will block out the sun. If the truck has spent its whole life outside though what more is another year in the sun going to do for it? I say just make sure and get it good and dirty so you have a layer of dirt blocking any sun rays, lol...

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Best thing is if you had a trusted friend or family member to keep it and drive it about once a week

Etc etc

*block*

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size

Etc etc

I’ve let my Jimmy sit for a year, and it was fine minus the battery. I would think TBI is much better with all that, which his is. I cannot stress the mouse/rat thing enough. Those things have feasted on my wires on a vehicle that didn’t sit and have ravaged ones that did.

roundhouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
77,78,79,80 ?
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I’ve let my Jimmy sit for a year, and it was fine minus the battery. I would think TBI is much better with all that, which his is. I cannot stress the mouse/rat thing enough. Those things have feasted on my wires on a vehicle that didn’t sit and have ravaged ones that did.

and make sure you empty the tank and fill it with real gasoline that doesn’t have the ethanol garbage in it
Pour in several bottles of sta-bil

And drive it 20 or 30 miles to make sure the real gas gets circulated through the entire system

And I would put jack stands under the axles to take the weight off the tires

They will be flat spotted and ruined after sitting for a year

Zoomalot

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado Shorty
Engine Size
350 Ram Jet
Younger life on Sask. Dust Bowl, on farm.
First thing (up on blocks). "Save your SPRINGS"
Home Depot (reflective insulation, cut to window shape),apply.
THIS WORKS!!! Go to Costco, buy a 12 bar brick of Irish Spring ORIGINAL Scent Bar Soap. (must be ORIGINAL SCENT)
Grate the soap with a course cheese grater. Put devided amounts in old 1cup sour cream containers etc.
Put the containers in places around the inside of vehicle (including under the engine hood, under dash and seats)
"The END of Rodent the problem"
Used that system lots and lots, went to S.Korea for 1.5 years and came back and Zero problems on 4 vehicles
and motorhome.
Sounds like you have no choice but to leave outside.
Good Luck

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
Younger life on Sask. Dust Bowl, on farm.
First thing (up on blocks). "Save your SPRINGS"
Home Depot (reflective insulation, cut to window shape),apply.
THIS WORKS!!! Go to Costco, buy a 12 bar brick of Irish Spring ORIGINAL Scent Bar Soap. (must be ORIGINAL SCENT)
Grate the soap with a course cheese grater. Put devided amounts in old 1cup sour cream containers etc.
Put the containers in places around the inside of vehicle (including under the engine hood, under dash and seats)
"The END of Rodent the problem"
Used that system lots and lots, went to S.Korea for 1.5 years and came back and Zero problems on 4 vehicles
and motorhome.
Sounds like you have no choice but to leave outside.
Good Luck

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to try that irish spring trick! I've been searching for a rodent deterrent...

Yes, I'll be leaving the country for a while, but luckily I have done some more searching and found a barn where I can store it, so at least it will be indoors. But I have another vehicle that will be stored outside, so all these tips you guys have given still apply.
I have the reflectix already cut out for all the windows, used them quite often on all my vehicles for car camping in the winter.

I'm going to drive the tank till empty and fill with 100% gasoline.
The tires are already in need of replacement so I'm not too concerned with the flat spots, but I may still put it on jack stands for the springs like you mentioned.
I have a battery tender (4-way) so all my batteries will be trickle charging throughout the year. Should I remove cables from terminals?
I'm going to change oil and coolant before I put it away for the year, but other than that, anything else?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I would leave the tanks almost empty before storing and fill up with fresh fuel when taking out of storage.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
A full tank has less room for condensation though.

Yes, condensation can mean rust and issues with your tank level float getting stuck.

I have store my Silverado every winter and before that my Typhoon. I add Stabil gas treatment, then fill it up full.
Also pump the tires to max pressure. I don't bother jacking it up.
I use a battery tender type device and leave the battery cables hooked up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128