OUCH!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Dang dude, that's crazy! Never seen a vise just give out like that, must've made a hell of a noise.

But yeah in my experience, once those things are on there, they're on. I've had one that I flipped so I could use a drop hitch as a raised hitch for a tall trailer, and when I was done a couple days later I tried to flip it back over, and well that didn't happen. I even put it back on the truck and put a wrench with an extension on it and tried to use a tractor to pull the bar and crack it loose. I just ended dragging the ass end of the truck a few feet.

custodian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
1973, 1985
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.3 LS, 350
Dang dude, that's crazy! Never seen a vise just give out like that, must've made a hell of a noise.

But yeah in my experience, once those things are on there, they're on. I've had one that I flipped so I could use a drop hitch as a raised hitch for a tall trailer, and when I was done a couple days later I tried to flip it back over, and well that didn't happen. I even put it back on the truck and put a wrench with an extension on it and tried to use a tractor to pull the bar and crack it loose. I just ended dragging the ass end of the truck a few feet.

That's what I was going to do. This was a 5 1/2" vise. So far, I took it to Lowe's Hardware because they sell Craftsman Tools and refused to replace it. They gave me a number to call Craftsman and got a website to file a warranty claim. Just waiting now.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Post it three more times and I'm sure one of them will work.

Next time, turn the hitch 90° in the receiver, put a big socket and breaker bar on it,.. probably add a pipe, and stand on it.... Then bounce.

custodian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
1973, 1985
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.3 LS, 350
Post it three more times and I'm sure one of them will work.

Next time, turn the hitch 90° in the receiver, put a big socket and breaker bar on it,.. probably add a pipe, and stand on it.... Then bounce.

Yea, not sure what happened when I posted. I tried to go back and delete them but couldn't.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Yea, not sure what happened when I posted. I tried to go back and delete them but couldn't.

Yeah, you can't delete any posts here. Not even a single reply to something. Not sure what that's about.

custodian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
1973, 1985
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.3 LS, 350
mine did the same....but with life warranty from Mastercraft got a new one free! :)

I have a claim request in with Craftsman, just waiting to see what happens.

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
That's what I was going to do. This was a 5 1/2" vise. So far, I took it to Lowe's Hardware because they sell Craftsman Tools and refused to replace it. They gave me a number to call Craftsman and got a website to file a warranty claim. Just waiting now.

Yup, I can't find any place that will replace Craftsman now that Sears is gone. They just tell you to file a claim and mail it to them. But nice job on that vice o_O

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I have a claim request in with Craftsman, just waiting to see what happens.

I broke my ancient hand-me-down vise that I inherited from my grandfather in almost the exact same way. I welded it back together, and then it broke again at the edge of the weld(but thankfully after I finished my project). I think it is a really old craftsman unit also. I need to look into whether I can get it replaced under warranty, it honestly hadn't even crossed my mind that it might be covered.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
How old was that one? Was wondering if it was made in the U.S. or offshore.
Even Wilton imports some of their products now, gotta pay serious money for one of their USA made bullet vises.

custodian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
1973, 1985
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.3 LS, 350
I'm thinking this vise is around 30 years old.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shake1969