Options for engine swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
So I am thinking about possibly doing an engine swap. My stock 350 has never been rebuilt I assume and runs pretty well. Its had a few issues but they seem to be mainly related to external components. I will soon need a reliable vehicle to drive back and forth to Wyoming when I join the air national guard. What I'd like to know is what is my best bet for an engine swap that will be reliable and fun as well. I want to buy something used and learn to rebuild it. Should I get an LS, or should I buy a plain old 350 from another square and rebuild/mod it out?

I havent decided if I want to swap the rear diff gears yet for something more speedy because I'd sorta like to still be able to tow small to regular sized things. (I plan on getting a camper topper for it). I think it'd be awesome to make a sleeper camper sorta thing without going to crazy on the budget. I'm mainly worried about reliability right now but I have some big plans/ideas in my head for my truck.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
A SBC will be cheaper and easier overall. Either can be done with a carb. The potential of an LS is a plus.

As for a gearing swap, the same gears that will make your truck accelerate better are the same gears that'll help it pull a load from a stop better. What's in it now? If it's a camper special I'd think its already close to 4.10, maybe 3.73 at the tallest. If you're planning on driving it longer distances regularly, shorter gears wouldn't serve you well.

What I'd do, if you haven't already, is get the truck as close to possible to zero miles as possible. Things like wheel bearings, suspension bushings, u-joints, fluids, basic tune up items, etc.

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Seems much easier to me to build a SBC .

Cheap parts, no thought needed for parts lookup (belts, accessories, yada yada yada ) and you know everything will bolt back up.

And, closer to OE.

But, that's my .02 - YMMV.
X2

JoeR Jr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.0/4L80E
As others have stated already, sticking with a SBC would be less expensive and still be completely reliable.
The LS upgrade could be even more reliable if you did it right, and add the benefits of better HP, torque and fuel mileage. Add a new electronic overdrive trans and you'd have even better mileage again.

The cool part is that both choices are great options.

Joe

82Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L
SBC if you want to be able to find parts or whatever. Only thing I've found really hard to find for them and BBC is Cruise Control & A/C Brackets etc.

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
Both are a good option and it depends how involved you want to be.
You can just update the stock 350 with a new one and call it a day.
On the other hand if you go full LS; as mentioned above the benefits are great.
However this takes significantly more effort.
This includes engine, trans, wiring harness, computer update, fuel system...

I've done this on my K5 fi you want to see my build thread.
I had the extra challenge with finding the transfer case since 4x4.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
So I am thinking about possibly doing an engine swap. My stock 350 has never been rebuilt I assume and runs pretty well. Its had a few issues but they seem to be mainly related to external components. I will soon need a reliable vehicle to drive back and forth to Wyoming when I join the air national guard. What I'd like to know is what is my best bet for an engine swap that will be reliable and fun as well. I want to buy something used and learn to rebuild it. Should I get an LS, or should I buy a plain old 350 from another square and rebuild/mod it out?

I havent decided if I want to swap the rear diff gears yet for something more speedy because I'd sorta like to still be able to tow small to regular sized things. (I plan on getting a camper topper for it). I think it'd be awesome to make a sleeper camper sorta thing without going to crazy on the budget. I'm mainly worried about reliability right now but I have some big plans/ideas in my head for my truck.
Going to Guernsey?

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
SBC all 366 days of the year, my friend.
Yeah I had no clue there was that much extra work involved with putting in an LS engine. Maybe one day, but definitely not not. I might take a trip down to colorado auto and parts and see if I can find any squarebody trucks with a good donor motor. Then maybe I can look around for some extra stuff like headers a good carb and an intake. I was looking at buying some procomp heads and a comp cam because I don't wanna cheap out on those. This could be really fun! I just need to find a buddy who can help me put in the engine when it's done!

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
easy to do...cheap too LQ4/4L80E and 350HP stock from the bat...peace of mind of happy driving! :)

NB big respect for those old school carb-distributor-master of tune but for me after 40 years of headbanging trouble and gaz drinking.... :D

You must be registered for see images attach

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
I have two squares, 1973 k10 4x4 with 3.73 10 bolt front, 12 bolt rear. Other truck k20 dana 44 front, dana 60 rear W/411. K10 chain drive, (and sloppy,) married transfer, K20 gear. Both have probably 100,000 miles in the hills. The 3:73 are better road gear, I like them better then my 4:11 for that reason. HOWEVER, a big fan of the dana stuff. Around here there are lots of 700r4 or the 4L60, (same trans,) for cheap. Behind a 350 would give you the best of both worlds. Not everyone here will agree with me, but I have several (z28 W/400 hp LT1,) thrashed hard and holding. They are dirt cheap to rebuild. I farm, and truck pull trailers plenty. Use the transfer in low as needed. Your are young and probably don't ooze cash, and I like your attitude about wanting to learn, keep it going. I grew up with small blocks, great and fun motor, and the sealing problems have been solved. I have an LQ4 W4l80e, an LS6/t56, and 454 motor home motors. K20 will get the 454 with the 350 for now for the reasons stated earlier....easy swap and cheap...hone, rings, bearings, valve job, paint and prep for 1500.00 bucks. I love the late model LS motors, have a 98 z28, fast fun 13.5 105 quarter. thrash it park it thrash it again, but to swap is time consuming and easily two to three times more expensive. I will post all the pain and agony swapping the 454, really a piece of cake. Where are you located?

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
Sorry about the duplicates, I am still learning too...Better go feed the horses and cows

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Yeah I had no clue there was that much extra work involved with putting in an LS engine. Maybe one day, but definitely not not. I might take a trip down to colorado auto and parts and see if I can find any squarebody trucks with a good donor motor. Then maybe I can look around for some extra stuff like headers a good carb and an intake. I was looking at buying some procomp heads and a comp cam because I don't wanna cheap out on those. This could be really fun! I just need to find a buddy who can help me put in the engine when it's done!

I respect the Gen III setups for all that they can do out of the box, so to speak, plus they’re super reliable if they’re maintained properly and even sometimes when they’re not, but there’s enough I don’t like about them to dissuade me from doing it or buying a vehicle that has one. I like relative simplicity of design and maintenance. SBCs are ubiquitous, parts are cheap, and the community is pretty consistent IMO. What I mean by that is there are a lot of LS band wagoners who don’t know their ass from a hole in the ground and poison the water for the very knowledgeable people who are into the swap. Just go look most of the LS “projects” on Marketplace and on the Craig to see what I mean.

I’m also kind of a purist, but I don’t think I’m unbearable with it. I’d really like to put together a Buick 350 build one day or even a 455. Their design rivals the SBC in more than a few ways, IMO, but the SBC is the ubiquitous one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T3rraBeara