Options for Brake Upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OkieFishMan

Certified Camping and Fishing Nut
Reaction score
First Name
OkieFishMan
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C2500
Engine Size
454/SM465
What are my options to improve the performance of my brakes? I tow a 10k fifth wheel and it pulls great, but a little more stopping power wouldn't hurt.

Truck is a 1984 GMC C2500 Crew Cab Long Bed with 454 and SM465.

What would be the best thing to do to improve the brakes?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Slotted rotors up front good pads.....not parts house ones and rear disc. That's what I would suggest. Maybe an adjustable proportioning valve with more brake in the rear with dual piston calipers. It will give a bit more control when braking loaded.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Install juice brakes from a 1 ton. Careful it will put you through the windshield.
Then disc brakes on the rear.
Buuutttt, E brake will be an issue.
The option is 75ish Caddy rear calipers with E brake but you NEED to maintain and keep clean and always use the E brake or it will seize.
Research will show you how critical adjustment/setup of these E brake calipers are. Most guys have drama because they never set them up right in the first place.
Sorry but that's all I can say... as I have never done the conversion myself. But I will as I have all the parts but everything is on hold until I sell my place and relocate.
To add another tip I found regarding 1 ton brakes, convert to 3/4 ton front discs. You will need a bracket for this. Then you lose the big bulky cast bracket the 1 tons run. The smaller disc from the 3/4 ton will still have the braking power but modulates much better and saves a ball sack of weight... so I've read.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Don't forget to do a brake flush, especially if the fluid is looking dark or hasn't been changed in a long time.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Hydra boost is a good option too as @shiftpro Mentioned

OkieFishMan

Reaction score
First Name
OkieFishMan
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C2500
Engine Size
454/SM465
The hydroboost would no doubt make it much better, but I'm hoping to not have to go to that much trouble. Ive seen some Stop Tech slotted rotors from Centric that are supposed to be good. I've also heard of the dual piston Willwood calipers that you can get. I wonder if they make much of a difference????

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
The hydroboost would no doubt make it much better, but I'm hoping to not have to go to that much trouble. Ive seen some Stop Tech slotted rotors from Centric that are supposed to be good. I've also heard of the dual piston Willwood calipers that you can get. I wonder if they make much of a difference????
For what they cost the better. Lol

OkieFishMan

Reaction score
First Name
OkieFishMan
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C2500
Engine Size
454/SM465
For what they cost the better. Lol

Yeah, those calipers are a bit pricey! But if they really help it might be worth it. Is there a thread on here with details on how to switch over to hydroboost? Not sure if that's something I want to tackle or not........

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Yeah, those calipers are a bit pricey! But if they really help it might be worth it. Is there a thread on here with details on how to switch over to hydroboost? Not sure if that's something I want to tackle or not........
Not 100% sure. I don't think it's to hard you will need the pedal and pushrod the unit that bolts to the fire wall the power steering pump and the lines from the pump to the unit and to the steering box.

Last edited:

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Not that I've done it, but getting cryogenically treated rotors are supposed to make them last longer and not warp as easily. Read up on it and form an opinion. If I'd thought about it when I did my brakes all around, I would have.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I'll cast my vote for the hydro-boost also. My D30 is my first vehicle withit, and it's great. They will put you through the windshield with little effort.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I have a 94 1 ton with hydroboost and brakes are awsome. The suburbans regular brakes not so great. Hydroboost swap is not complecated, the complecated part is finding a complete assembly of parts for the swap.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I converted mine and besides the fact it was time consuming, it really wasn't that difficult. My mechanical skills are what I would call "average" and, for me, the most frustrating part of the job was the serpentine power steering pump. The pulley put up a damn good fight and there are bolts hidden in places that are stupid-hard to find. I had scrounged around the junkyard and sourced the hoses from an early 80's C30, the brake pedal came from a diesel K5, and found a power steering pump with the correct return port can on a GMT400 Suburban.

Problems I ran into: The hb unit was a $20 gamble from craigslist. Of course it leaked at the pushrod seal, letting fluid drip onto the floor mat. It was replaced with a reman from O'Reillys, which also leaked and had to be replaced with another one. My old power steering pump was installed into the GMT400 can but failed after a few weeks. Two more reman pumps also crapped out in short order which pissed me off enough to buy a new PSC pump. Added an auxiliary fin-type cooler per PSC's recommendation and haven't had any more problems. Been running the hydroboost for about ten years now and it's been trouble free after getting the bugs worked out. I don't think everyone would have the steering pump issues I had. It was probably a combination of so-so quality parts and the fact I do a fair amount of offroad at low speeds with oversize tires.

OkieFishMan

Reaction score
First Name
OkieFishMan
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C2500
Engine Size
454/SM465
I may tinker with the brakes I have for now and see if they will perform at a level that I deem adequate. If they don't, it sounds like hydroboost is the way to go.

Thanks for all the input!

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I'd also recommend the hydro boost set up. My truck has it stock. For the rear, you can install the drum set up for a C/K30 SRW. They use a 14BFF and the shoes are 3.5" wide. I would guess the backing plates and wheel cylinders are different than yours though. At least you wouldn't have to modify a bunch to make it work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK