OPTIONS for bench seat and carpet -

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jwernatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
5.7ltr
Hey all - ya know how a little heater core replace goes unlimited?

I now have my dash, my gage cluster, the seat and the carpets out!

Back three months ago, when the hater core popped - it dumped all the antifreeze on the floor - today I pulled the carpet back - it was still wet underneath. I pulled it all back there was surface rust - I sanded the it down, etched it and Im going to pour 15 it.

But it started a chain --

I pulled the carpet and the seat.

The carpet is in great shape other than discolored. Can I or should I dye it? And who does that?

The seat - its' got a mediocre seat cover. Im going to have professionally upholstered somewhere. Would it better to buy a aftermarket bench with lots of options (like elbow rest)

You must be registered for see images attach

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey all - ya know how a little heater core replace goes unlimited?

I now have my dash, my gage cluster, the seat and the carpets out!

Back three months ago, when the hater core popped - it dumped all the antifreeze on the floor - today I pulled the carpet back - it was still wet underneath. I pulled it all back there was surface rust - I sanded the it down, etched it and Im going to pour 15 it.

But it started a chain --

I pulled the carpet and the seat.

The carpet is in great shape other than discolored. Can I or should I dye it? And who does that?

The seat - its' got a mediocre seat cover. Im going to have professionally upholstered somewhere. Would it better to buy a aftermarket bench with lots of options (like elbow rest)

Personally I would buy new carpet and reupholster factory seat.I pulled my interior out and refinished and used a rubber undercoating from my fire wall all the way up to bottom of rear window,added exta insulation and new carpet and its quiet as a mouse inside.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
If you use your old seat cushion, take a close look to determine how much it’s broken or sagging. I recovered mine years ago and later realized that it leaned down on the driver’s side from so many years of wear. I’ve never bothered to go back and swap in a new cushion but it would probably improve it quite a bit.

Complete aftermarket seat are available, but quite pricey. I would probably try to adapt a seat you like from a newer truck, and then have that recovered to match your interior.

Bruce

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
Ive had good luck with the spray can carpet dye. If mine had carpet Id do it on this one.
Aftermarket seats are always better imho but hats a slippery slope you are going down. A set of seats from a 2000ish gmc/chevy fits well and looks great. Has armrests and center console. And you can get a matching grey in the oe seats all day.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Ive had good luck with the spray can carpet dye. If mine had carpet Id do it on this one.
Aftermarket seats are always better imho but hats a slippery slope you are going down. A set of seats from a 2000ish gmc/chevy fits well and looks great. Has armrests and center console. And you can get a matching grey in the oe seats all day.
I like your style Jeff, but I’m going to have to disagree with you one one point—2000 something seats do not look good in a square. Early gmt400 at the newest. Many may disagree, but just my opinion.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
I like your style Jeff, but I’m going to have to disagree with you one one point—2000 something seats do not look good in a square. Early gmt400 at the newest. Many may disagree, but just my opinion.

Hey we cant all be right. Youll get there. IM not judging,LOL

I do however agree that they look a bit out of place in a square. But they are the only "comfortable" GM seat narrow enough to fit that I know of.
Now those aftermarket lmc seats with the low back and center console....damn good looking. Ive seen the dark brown leather version in person and oh my!

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I've done my fair share of leaked on the floor heater cores at the shop. Carpet is terrible for holding waterin, worse with coolant. As you might know coolant takes forever to air dry. At the shop, I'd peal up that portion of the carpet and soak it and the pad with water and suck out with shop vac, I do it repeatedly until I was sure all the coolant was out of it, then leave the vehicle in shop overnight with the carpet still pealed back, the windows cracked and a heater running till dry.

Obviously you have gone beyond that. If it were me, I'd clean the carpet really well with a carpet cleaner and see what it's like. If still looking bad die it. Assuming it's otherwise in good shape.

Jwernatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
5.7ltr

fantastic! I didn't know that was available. the carpet is in great shape. the '87 has been taken care of so well. its really in great shape.

Jwernatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
5.7ltr
Personally I would buy new carpet and reupholster factory seat.I pulled my interior out and refinished and used a rubber undercoating from my fire wall all the way up to bottom of rear window,added exta insulation and new carpet and its quiet as a mouse inside.

awesome -- it had the 'rubberish and very thick pile undercoating - I do need to replace the insulation - I'l run up to advance / napa or ORielys and see if they have some.

But what did you use for insulation?

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
If you can do it without damaging the rubber under coat, you may want to pull it up and look underneath it. When I bought my truck the PO had replaced the carpets. I pulled up the sound deadener and found this, You would have never known the condition without doing it. Obviously it was leaking for a while.

I replaced the sound deadener with Boom Mat after I had a patch panel installed.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
While I prefer the factory bench seat for its simplicity, the cost of reupholstering professionally with new foam, fabric, any Spring repairs approaches the cost of a new aftermarket. Foam is $250, fabric is $250, labour is a few hundred plus any repairs of the springs, tracks, painting, etc quickly gets you to the $1k mark.

Check out the C10 seats from Qualitex. You can get heaters, massagers, lumbar support, armrest etc that will allow you to drive in ultimate luxury if that's your thing. If I was building a cruiser for long trips, that'd be the way to go for myself.

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
If you can do it without damaging the rubber under coat, you may want to pull it up and look underneath it. When I bought my truck the PO had replaced the carpets. I pulled up the sound deadener and found this, You would have never known the condition without doing it. Obviously it was leaking for a while.

I replaced the sound deadener with Boom Mat after I had a patch panel installed.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
awesome -- it had the 'rubberish and very thick pile undercoating - I do need to replace the insulation - I'l run up to advance / napa or ORielys and see if they have some.

But what did you use for insulation?
I used jute padding that had a foil layer on it.And the carpet had certain sections of jute only on it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL