Opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

akchevrolet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I was wondering what people thought woukd be better price wise and durability. I am not planning on doing this as the price for just a gearvendors od is expensive. But th400 with a gearvendors or 6l80e? For a daily with highway speeds?

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
The 6l80 would be pretty expensive, I don’t know if anyone has controllers for that trans. If your looking for a overdrive, don’t bother with a 400 and a gear vendor. Just do a 4l80, it will be far cheaper.

akchevrolet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Sorry meant 4l80

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Been down this road. 4l80 over GV every time. Unless of course you have a 4500 and all the junk to go with it.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
If you're not in a hurry, browse older motorhomes... late70's and up into 80's. GM used T400s with GVs. You could pick one up complete with a big block for less than a new GV.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I still don't understand why so many people these days say that the 4L80e is a much better option than a Gear Vendors. Total cost is roughly the same. Even if it's a little more cost for the GV, you only have to bolt it up and shorten the drive shaft. No fooling with a trans swap, wiring, and shortening the shaft. Time and simplicity is worth something too.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
The ability to tune the trans for desired shift points/shift characteristics, lock up converter, and overall length are all benefits.

I have a gear vendor in my Olds, it’s been in there probably 10 years now. If I was looking today for overdrive, I would have gone with the 4L80 in a heartbeat. At the time, controllers and converters were much more expensive than they are now.

I bought my gear vender off eBay (the only thing I have ever successfully bid on!) for 900 bucks, the controller cost me another 300. I just looked on gear venders price list, a 400 gear vender package is 2900. I’d be real surprised if you could do a gear vender conversion for less than 3300 by the time you have driveshaft made, fluids, and all the other nickle and dime crap is done.

If you can find s hood used 4L80, the trans and required controller would’ve well under half that amount.

Attachments

• 745077D2-5CF5-4CDF-BB11-797F67A75584.png
    745077D2-5CF5-4CDF-BB11-797F67A75584.png
    168.5 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I still don't understand why so many people these days say that the 4L80e is a much better option than a Gear Vendors. Total cost is roughly the same. Even if it's a little more cost for the GV, you only have to bolt it up and shorten the drive shaft. No fooling with a trans swap, wiring, and shortening the shaft. Time and simplicity is worth something too.
the shear cost I bet, but if you dont have a lot of the things already its not that much cheaper and does have more ground work to do.

If you use a gear vendor are you able to make a better 1st gear out of th400? like how a th350 first gear is got more pep to its step, i think, unless im backwards

akchevrolet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Sorry meant 4l
If you're not in a hurry, browse older motorhomes... late70's and up into 80's. GM used T400s with GVs. You could pick one up complete with a big block for less than a new GV.
I might just look. Been thinking about getting a transmission from wrench a part and tearing into it and upgrade things. and learning.

Last edited:

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
the shear cost I bet, but if you dont have a lot of the things already its not that much cheaper and does have more ground work to do.

If you use a gear vendor are you able to make a better 1st gear out of th400? like how a th350 first gear is got more pep to its step, i think, unless im backwards

If your happy with the cruising characteristics of the truck now with a 3 speed, you could change the final drive ratio to keep the same cruise rpm with the overdrive

I’m too lazy to do the math, if the truck has 3.73, you could cruise exactly the same with 5.13 and a overdrive. Probably cruise at a lower engine speed once the converter is locked.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I think we all know the answer here is a 700r4 but improperly adjusted and no external cooler, then a gear vendors right behind it.
I see no way to have problems

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The ability to tune the trans for desired shift points/shift characteristics, lock up converter, and overall length are all benefits.

I have a gear vendor in my Olds, it’s been in there probably 10 years now. If I was looking today for overdrive, I would have gone with the 4L80 in a heartbeat. At the time, controllers and converters were much more expensive than they are now.

I bought my gear vender off eBay (the only thing I have ever successfully bid on!) for 900 bucks, the controller cost me another 300. I just looked on gear venders price list, a 400 gear vender package is 2900. I’d be real surprised if you could do a gear vender conversion for less than 3300 by the time you have driveshaft made, fluids, and all the other nickle and dime crap is done.

If you can find s hood used 4L80, the trans and required controller would’ve well under half that amount.

That last part there is why I can never see the trans swap as being a far cheaper route to go. I never ever trust a used transmission unless I know the history and had driven it for thousands of miles myself. I personally just don't see tossing in a used 4L80e as an option. If it fails, you then have to swap it a 2nd time AND pay to have it rebuilt... at that point the cost and labor is definitely higher than a GV.

akchevrolet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
That last part there is why I can never see the trans swap as being a far cheaper route to go. I never ever trust a used transmission unless I know the history and had driven it for thousands of miles myself. I personally just don't see tossing in a used 4L80e as an option. If it fails, you then have to swap it a 2nd time AND pay to have it rebuilt... at that point the cost and labor is definitely higher than a GV.
Unless you get a used one and rebuild it yourself or have someone rebuild it the first time.

Curt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-30
Engine Size
I like to weigh in.I’m all about the gear vendors.That TH-400 and gear vendors is so much more durable than the 4L80.The only reason I haven’t went with one in my own pickup is the ground clearance.However,on a 2WD,I think it’s a non issue.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
I like to weigh in.I’m all about the gear vendors.That TH-400 and gear vendors is so much more durable than the 4L80.The only reason I haven’t went with one in my own pickup is the ground clearance.However,on a 2WD,I think it’s a non issue.

A 4L80 IS a old school 400. Everything from the forward clutch back is identical between a 400 and 4L80. There is a overdrive clutch pack in front of the forward clutch (very similar to a Ford 4R100 or GM 2004R trans). Other than that, most of the 400/4L80 parts are interchangeable.

Since GM stopped using the desirable sprag style direct drum in the 400 in 1971, the vast majority of 400 have much weaker roller clutch direct drum that can’t be upgraded. GM decided to bring back the tooling for the good sprag style drums for the 4L80, and many of the later model years came factory with a 34 element sprag. With that in mind, I’ll argue the 4L80 is more durable than the majority of 400 that people think are so indestructible. With some cheap hydraulic upgrades, a stock 4L80 will handle far more power than a late model 400 would.

As for junkyard transmissions, a little detective work and common sense goes a long way. Before doing anything, pull the pan. If the pan is full of trans and burnt fluid, look for another. Ideally, find one from a wrecked truck. If the trick was on the road when it was wrecked, chances are good it’s ok.

I recently bought a 4L80 out of the core pile from my local salvage yard for a 100 bucks. I needed a good case to fix a trans for a buddy that dropped his snd cracked the case. The core came out of a truck that caught on fire, there was so much melted plastic and undercoating on the case I couldn’t be sure exactly what year it was. When I took it apart it was absolutely flawless. Since the case connector was melted, I replaced the internal wiring harness, the front and rear seals, and my buddy used it instead of swapping cases.

Lastly, you could always pay a local trans shop a couple hundred bucks to open up a used trans for inspection.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg