Opinion on transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Elliot W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Elliot
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hi everyone I'm in a bind and can't figure out which transmission set up to go for my build and could really use some opinions. All opinions welcome. I'm building a 74 short bed with a 5.3LS stock motor. Intent for the truck will be to cruise to some local shows and maybe drive it one day a week. The truck is currently set up for a cable clutch and does not have a driveshaft. I'm on a relatively tight budget with this project so the T56 is out of the question.

The C10 came with a saginaw 3 speed. It seems to go into the gears just fine. It is leaking fluid from the real seal, so I have a seal kit on the way to replace the exterior seals. It looks like all I'd need to make this work is a $250 bellhousing kit w/fork etc., plus a clutch kit and pressure plate, and the driveshaft. I'll have to buy a clutch kit, pressure plate, driveshaft, and bellhousing regardless of the trans I choose. This Saginaw options works great for the budget, but I hear its relatively fragile, operability is undetermined, and there is no OD.

The other option I'm looking at is the AR-5. I can get one local for $350, and the conversion plate with bellhousing is about $500. This would probably be the time to make the switch to a hydraulic clutch too, which will add probably another $300 or so. Anybody have experience with FABbot fabrication and the AR-5 kit? This option is really interesting but I'm worried I'd get the kit and not be able to get any tech support since the company is bew and doesn't even list a phone number.

The other option I was looking at is the NV3500. They seem to be a dime a dozen locally, but only in the 4x4 model and I need the 4x2. If there is some way to easily and efficiently use a 4x4 NV3500 I'd be interested.

What route should I be going? Are the 5 speed options with hydraulic cable really worth the money?

Thank you all in advance for your time. I figure its best to think this one through before I spend the money on the driveshaft and clutch set up since I need to buy those anyways.

Last edited:

mmerlinn

Reaction score
First Name
mmerlinn
Truck Year
1977, 1993, & 1993
Truck Model
Ranger, Aerostar, & Aerostar
Engine Size
460, 181, & 181
Forget the NV3500 4x4 option. Only way to make it work is to dismantle the transmission, swap output shafts, put it back together with the proper tail housing (not 4x4 housing).

Same rule applies to most, but not all, 4x4 transmissions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texdave