Old dual tank location, what do do with space?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
So I did the gas tank relocation years back and have removed the tanks/brackets. Can anyone think of anything to put in the location that would be useful? It was a dual tank so I've got doors on both sides. All I can come up with so far is either a step you could pull out/fold down or storage for tow straps and other stuff. I've nixed the steps, as I have steps on it already.

Keep in mind there is frame access so it could be something that needs a lot of support if needed.

Me thinking outside of the box.....and asking you to lol

Thanks In Advance
'Maro

full

Last edited:

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
A drop down gun safe with the keypad behind the gas door? A water tank if you're into camping or hunting? Pop out side armaments for the zombie apocalypse? Some sort of storage would be useful and free up space in the bed. A compressed air tank to adjust tire pressure if into off roading. Ice chest with beer dispenser though gas door?

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
A drop down gun safe with the keypad behind the gas door? A water tank if you're into camping or hunting? Pop out side armaments for the zombie apocalypse? Some sort of storage would be useful and free up space in the bed. A compressed air tank to adjust tire pressure if into off roading. Ice chest with beer dispenser though gas door?
Liking the ice chest idea!!

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Yeah dude hang on to them brackets! I'd put a handy ninja box up there with a padlock on it. :waytogo:

Brackets?!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I dunno , might oughta hang on to em.

Last edited:

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Personally I'd run all 3 gas tanks, but I like the air tank idea for filling up tires, running air tools or running a big set of train horns.
You could run a propane tank under one side, so you could have a cook top or heater for camping or tailgating at the game. And have a keg on the other with a tap/dispenser in the gas door.

Really love the flip down gun storage box. It could come down and out like those fancy running boards on new trucks. Be water tight and locked, and have the keypad/lock in the gas flap.

If you wanted to cut the bed side, you could have 2 drawers on either side, for tools or chains or what have ya.

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
My buddy just finished a cooler in the bed of his el camino with a remote open on a gas shock on the lid. my vote is for cooler.
Eric

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Great “ideas” so far, lol.
Fwiw, GM offered a drivers side jockey box from the factory for a couple years? in the early 70s.
Probably rare and hard to find, but that was a factory option you could probably graft in with a lot of bodywork if you could find 1 or even 2 of them.

Grumpy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Taking a cue from the Great Robin Williams, and also accounting for the level of depravity in today's crumbling morals, may I suggest a pair of remote-mounted mini guns? Belt-fed through the box and remote controlled.
Road ragers would soon be a distant memory and Wile E. Coyote would be jealous.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Speaking of crumbling morals - if you watch that video you will see an example of what he's talkin about. That is NOT COOL and I bet you go to hell for that.
Those guys certainly deserve to - imo.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Personally I'd run all 3 gas tanks.

If you wanted to cut the bed side, you could have 2 drawers on either side, for tools or chains or what have ya.

Great “ideas” so far, lol.
Fwiw, GM offered a drivers side jockey box from the factory for a couple years? in the early 70s.
Probably rare and hard to find, but that was a factory option you could probably graft in with a lot of bodywork if you could find 1 or even 2 of them.
My truck was a single tanker, driver side only. Not to long after I bought the truck I realized I was not happy with the range of one 20 gallon tank, especially if I was loaded or towing the trailer. So I debated on doing the rear tank thing, but in the end added a second 20 gallon saddle tank. At this point if I added a rear tank if would be so I could use all three. But if I had a rear tank only setup I would cut the bed and add storage compartments on both sides. To me the biggest down side to these truck is the lack of really any kind of dry storage other than the little bit of space behind the seat. I'm running a bed rail tool box, but have to pull it out to haul certain things.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Speaking of crumbling morals - if you watch that video you will see an example of what he's talkin about. That is NOT COOL and I bet you go to hell for that.
Those guys certainly deserve to - imo.
What did I miss? I tried to scan every person I saw walking by in the background, didn't see anything that jumped out at me. Was expected to see dudes kissing or something, but I don't quite see what you saw I guess

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
A drop down sign reminding you that you need an LS swap?

ballencd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Truck Year
1988/1991/1983
Truck Model
V10 Suburban/V1500 Suburban/M35 bobbed w/dump
Engine Size
5.7/5.7/LDT 465-1c
I have a suburban with the 41 gallon tank in the rear and have thought I wanted to put two saddle tanks on the sides for more distance and possibility or bringing diesel or gas home for other vehicles or the tractor. The ability to pump it out, pump it into a different tank or use a different tank for fuel would be good too if a fuel pump went out on the road I could select a different tank and with it a different pump and sending unit. A separate pump would allow to move fuel to the good tank if the one with fuel in it went south. My thought is that a 16 or 20 gallon tank could be attatched to a suburban fairly easily....what do you think? I am sure the plumbing might be a bit tricky though.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The thought of having 80gal of fuel on board is very attractive. Especially considering until just a few years ago, fuel tanks were shrinking on all trucks and only some newer HD trucks finally have the option for more than 30 some gallon tanks.
Just the practicality of a 30+ To 50 year old rig for long haul stuff is very limited anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesardelacadena