Oil leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Great block. Keep that one forever.

Bro. Oil comes out of THIS hole..it IS the feed to the factory, mechanical , oil gage.

You must be registered for see images attach

If you're not gonna repair the gage, you MUST remove that brass fitting and find a way to fill the hole.
A bolt or a plug.
You must.

The oil "bypass valve" (in the block above the filter) bypasses the filter when the engine is cold - that's why. Requires a certain amount of PRESSURE to open the valve.

Deep breath man, this is neither hard nor expensive but it could be a fun learning experience between dad and son.

See how great the pix are?
Don't strip it. Lefty Loosey.
The Rear main seal likely was leaking,probably still is, but it wasnt the problem..we'll get over it. They all leak. :(

If you look closer at the picture you cropped for that image, the line he disconnected before taking that picture is right next to it. If that was an open fitting the whole time, you'd have oil sprayed all over the underside of the hood and the rest of that engine bay like a Jackson ******* painting.... lol.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@gbnbrb123,

Now let me see if I understand this. You made mention that when you looked and there was no oil sending unit in that hole behind the intake, that @Rusty Nail showed a pic of, that brass fitting, or what's left of it there? Now, what was in it originally, nothing? There should be the oil pressure sending unit in that hole. It appears that the sending unit has broken off maybe that's why there was nothing there. But I agree in that if the sending unit was missing there would be a torrent of oil coming from that hole. If oil is coming from there but just enough to drip pretty good then that hole is partially stopped up. Get you a sending unit and put it in so you can read oil pressure. And there should be the wire for it, maybe either hanging down somewhere or tucked up into the harness, with a little clip that slips over the little cap thing on top of the sending unit.

And what has happened to the vacuum "tree" at the back of the intake manifold, a gray metal fixture standing up there? It appears the top has broke off. It shouldn't have a hole on top. There should be a couple of tubes coming from the side of it. One of those little tubes is where the transmission modulator valve gets it's vacuum. I don't see that long small metal tube that should be right there if it's hooked up to the trans. Were there any other hoses attached to that "tree"?

I see another tube looking thing in the third pic that has in it two wires, a large corrigated wire loom, and a large metal tube, black, that comes from the back of the block. Is that the tube you were saying that goes to the brake booster? If so that's cool. What is that at the block it comes from, it looks funny?

Other than the oil pressure sending unit port I wouldn't think oil would be coming from anywhere else. I'll bet that's where your oil is coming from.

Last edited:

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Just an observation,Professional Parts Changers are always harder to deal with.lol I know only so many places for oil to leak here.Wouldnt it be hilarious after all the posts, it was just a little spilled oil? Lol

gbnbrb123

Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I wished it was a little spilled oil, Octane, it literally drips out when warm pretty rapidly. I stated that there was no oil sending unit in the back of the motor such as the ones that look like a cylinder with a tab on it for the electrical connection. It does read oil pressure as soon as the key turns on. Anyhow, we got everything put back together, got the timing dialed so it would finally crank and start, ran for a few minutes, turned it off, and now it won't start back again that we think is because of a possibly bad battery, just clicks, starter is fine when checking out of vehicle. Tried jumping it but jumper cables are are pretty crappy and not helping much. So I will check the wire that runs to the ignition switch and make sure that is getting the right voltage and etc once we get the starter put back in.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Holy Jesus! Get rid of the red silicon spaghetti mess and those horrible Edelbrock intake gaskets.

Or pretty much anything that says edelbroke on it.
Ha.ha. dude next time you lay down there take a rag with ya for cryin out loud..sheesh. How are you meant to tell the old oil from the new?

Well shoot.

Is this bolt leaking oil? Yes?
There is / may be a similar hole above that - in line- but I dont think it leaks.
All you gotta do is take that bolt out, clean it up, and brush a lil gasket maker on it. Re-install. Telfon tape? Yes.
I believe THAT HOLE is the one what contains an oil pressure sensor in certain applications and it WILL leak.

Seal those threads and please come again.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Additionally, please identify what is circled in the 2nd photo shown here.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@gbnbrb123,

But are you saying you plugged that place where the oil pressure sending unit goes?? If not, what did you do with that port? And if it's reading oil pressure then where is the sending unit if it's not behind the intake in that hole, with whatever that brass thing is? And you are saying oil IS coming from there still??

Forward of the oil filter is a little 1/8th inch pipe plug in the side of the block there. I'm not entirely sure what that plug hole is for but did you check that for a possible leak. I was going to use it for a place to put a oil temp gauge where the pipe plug is, but I heard that wasn't a good place for one. That plug covers a oil passage near the filter base.

If someone knows what that pipe plug is for I would be very interested finding out. And can I use that as a place to plumb my oil temp gauge. Of course the best place to put a temp gauge is in the side of the pan near the bottom of the oil pan by welding in a bung.

gbnbrb123

Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
In one of the post I show the picture of the hole and right next to it was the oil pressure line that I had just unhooked, we screwed it back in. Originally we thought it was leaking from those bolts onto the oil filter but after further investigating it comes from above and then down onto the bolts and oil filter. When we started the truck after fixing the intake and valve cover gaskets we never had a chance to let it warm up all the way so not sure if we fixed the problem or not, we will soon find out. Thanks again for the help.

gbnbrb123

Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The black oil pressure line is right there with the fitting on the end, we screwed that into the hole like it was before.

gbnbrb123

Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
That thing you circled in the pic is the header.

gbnbrb123

Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yes it had a distributor gasket, got a new one installed with the intake manifold gaskets.

gbnbrb123

Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So now having more trouble again. Had the vehicle running after adjusting the distributor, ran for about 5 minutes and then we shut it off. Waited a few hours later to start it back up and wouldn't start and clicked multiple times. Took the starter out, tested it manually with jumper cables and battery, turned over fine. Put it back in, same thing, also charged the battery, no difference. Then tried to jump start since the clicking usually indicates a low battery, the vehicle would turn over, but would make a whoo whoo sound. Swapped to a perfectly good battery out of our van that has a red optima 750cca, vehicle turns over but makes a whining noise from alternator. Took alternator off and checked with volt meter, it produces electricity but sounds like it may be the culprit. Any thoughts?

gbnbrb123

Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Don't know since it didn't get warmed up enough to leak heavily like it did before.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL