Oil filter by pass valves on generation VI 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Harrington

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
454 7.4
Ok, I'm confused now. I've got a 1989 k3500 that I'm putting a crate engine in that is a generation VI 454. I'm having to install an oil filter kit because the oil filter will hit my front drive shaft as it is. And with the 90 degree adapter it puts the oil filter in the way of the exhaust header. So I'm reading up on this and I'm seeing all this info on the bypass valves that are installed in the block. Every description on the proper way to set this up seems to be different. Here's my set up....I have a generation VI 454, it has the oil cooler line connection built into the block itself, the truck has a factory oil cooler they I plan on using, I am using a oil filter relocation kit. So....what bypass valves do I need to change and change them to what? What holes get plugged or do none of them get plugged? Thanks for all info!!!
PS....I'm trying to upload a photo but nothing seems to work. Im on an Android phone and I press upload a file and it takes me to my files. I select the picture and it says "open" i press open and it takes me right back here but no photo

Mike Harrington

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
454 7.4
Ok I figured out how to load a picture..so this is what they are showing where the bypass valves are and such. Which ones do I change or plug or whatever for my situation?

You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If you are using the factory '91-up cooler lines and your filter relocation kit hooks up in place of the filter, you need the valve installed in port B. If your engine is used and came with an oil cooler, the valve should be installed already.

Mike Harrington

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
454 7.4
Ok, the truck is a 1989 k3500 with the factory installed oil cooler....I'm going to be using this oil cooler and the lines will be hooking up to the C and D ports that are a generation VI 454. The oil filter relocation kit is one that goes in place of the original oil filter because the original oil filter was hitting my front drive shaft. The generation VI engine is a used crate engine that did have oil cooler lines hooked up to the block. I will probably use those lines but they will be hooked up to the original oil cooler that's on the 1989 truck. I'm using those lines only because they have factory bends in them to hook up to the gen VI engine and the lines from the 1989 hooked up different to the mark IV engine. Do I still need to change the valve or not? I'm probably making this harder than it really is but I've been reading about too many horror stories of people screwing their engines up because the oil wasn't going thru the filter and was continually bypassing.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
If you got it used and it had the oil cooler lines hooked up already, you shouldn't need to change anything. Mine came out of as 1997 K2500 and is away at the machine shop now, so I can't post any pics. I would recommend you change them while you have everything out, they are cheap and readily available. Here is a nice video of what the bypass path looks like and how/when/why you should have them installed.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I recommend replacing "A" with the higher PSI chevy performance valve PN: 25161284. You can replace B with the factory 10 PSI valve PN: 25013759. Both valves are available at a chevy dealer or on amazon for under $10 each.

I ordered both of my valves last week on amazon and they have both already gotten to me.

If you haven't already done so, I would recommend getting a cam regrind while you have the engine out. The cam is the big limiting factor on this motor and you can send your cam to Delta Cams in Tacoma, Washington and get it ground to whatever you want for $140. It will keep the factory cam circle so you won't have to change anything else in the non-adjustable valvetrain. Also, since you are going from a Mark IV to a Gen VI, make sure you upgrade the gear on your distributor to a melonized gear or the factory roller cam will destroy it.

Mike Harrington

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
454 7.4
Bextreme04...the block is a generation VI but it's not set up using the roller provisions. It was set up as a TBI engine. Weird as it seems I know!! I've already upgraded the cam and lifters. I've been in contact with Brian Harris of Harristbimods(awesome guy and very knowledgeable on TBI stuff) and he's been helping out with the info for the cam upgrade and the new chip.
Shouldn't I be replacing both valves with the higher pressure ones since I'm going to be using an oil filter relocation kit?

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Bextreme04...the block is a generation VI but it's not set up using the roller provisions. It was set up as a TBI engine. Weird as it seems I know!! I've already upgraded the cam and lifters. I've been in contact with Brian Harris of Harristbimods(awesome guy and very knowledgeable on TBI stuff) and he's been helping out with the info for the cam upgrade and the new chip.
Shouldn't I be replacing both valves with the higher pressure ones since I'm going to be using an oil filter relocation kit?

Interesting. It must either be an early 1996 motor(some engines in 1996 were a mish-mash of Gen V and Gen VI) or someone removed the roller items at some point.

That's a good point about the remote filter. He did say in the video that a lot of people jump up to the higher bypass valves on both. I would think you would still get plenty of bypass with both being the 30 PSI. Even with 288,000 miles on my donor motor running 5w-30 synthetic, it would run at 60 PSI at startup and over 30 when warm.

Mike Harrington

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
454 7.4
Bextreme04...yeah the engine is a mystery motor for sure. The casting numbers on it are not on any database whatsoever...

Mike Harrington

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
454 7.4
Bucket....isn't the B port for the oil cooler lines and the A port is for filter? So if that's the case shouldn't it be the A port for the filter bypass that I would need to change to the 30 psi since I'm using the oil filter relocation kit and factory oil cooler lines that go into ports C and D?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Bucket....isn't the B port for the oil cooler lines and the A port is for filter? So if that's the case shouldn't it be the A port for the filter bypass that I would need to change to the 30 psi since I'm using the oil filter relocation kit and factory oil cooler lines that go into ports C and D?

With the valve installed in the B port, oil is forced to travel through the oil cooler hoses.

I couldn't tell you about swapping out the valve in the A port for a different pressure setting, I've never had to do that. All I've done is remove the valve in the B port so I could plug off both cooler ports without fear of a restriction.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128