Oil Fill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old60Driver

1983 K20 Silverado
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
This is going to be the dumbest thing I've ever written. So far.

Been gone for a while (work), but before I left, I threw an oil change on my '83 K20. Then got ambitious, and threw on some of the chrome bling that my wife picked up a while ago as a gift. Part of that package were valve covers. Put them on, and man, it looks good.

Here's the stupid part. I checked the oil yesterday, and decided to add about a half a quart. Realized that both the breather and PCV openings have internal baffles in them. Obviously THAT creates a problem when adding oil. Anything over a trickle going in there, and it tries overflowing.

For y'all that have aftermarket valve covers, do y'all just remove one of the baffles from the inside of the valve cover, or just resign yourself that it's going to take 2 hours to put in 5 quarts of oil? I guess I could pump it in through the dipstick, but...

Anyway, thanks!

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I drilled out a little of the baffle in mine.It helps but go too much and you'll get oil slinging out the the cover hole.Next time I take the cover off I'm going to find a good sized tight fitting grommet and drill a big matching hole in the cover

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
The baffle in mine is a flat plate just under the grommet and the vapor/oil comes around the sides. If I insert the funnel and then hold it spaced about a 1/2 inch above the plate it will flow quite well. The issue with flow happens if I just set the funnel in and it drops down on top of the plate, and the plate plugs the bottom of the funnel.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The baffle in mine is a flat plate just under the grommet and the vapor/oil comes around the sides. If I insert the funnel and then hold it spaced about a 1/2 inch above the plate it will flow quite well. The issue with flow happens if I just set the funnel in and it drops down on top of the plate, and the plate plugs the bottom of the funnel.
My v. covers are hard to get the oil in regardless.Why aftermarket manufacturers leave out an oil fill hole is one of the dumbest things. They know you can't hardly get oil through those stupid baffles.

blackdot25

Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
355CID
I pulled the valve cover with the breather and removed the internal baffle that was held in place with screws. Then I inserted a new breather grommet with a built-in baffle for the breather. When I need to add oil I pull both the breather and its grommet.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I pulled the valve cover with the breather and removed the internal baffle that was held in place with screws. Then I inserted a new breather grommet with a built-in baffle for the breather. When I need to add oil I pull both the breather and its grommet.
I may eventually just ripout since my baffle is tacked to the cover and solve it that way too

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey