oil changes ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JTWard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Silverado
Engine Size
350 Gasoline
I changed the oil when I put my Blazer away for the winter. Should it be changed when it comes out of the garage once the salt is gone, ( It is still perfectly light brown ) or drive it again in the fall, just before it gets put away for the winter ? Thank You !

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Your oil has not been used it’s like it’s still in the bottle. Oil breaks down with use ( if not full synthetic) the main reason we change the oil is because wear and heat break down the ability for the oil to lubricate your international moving parts. I run a full synthetic oil so I change my oil once a year in my daily drivers, mainly because the filter has gotten dirty. We have test strips that determine if your oil is still good, we as a country have been wasting a lot of money with the disposal of oil before it’s time. We should have a thread to discuss this, to answer all the questions about the different kinds of oil and additives. If you are running vehicles that were manufactured before unleaded gas you should be running an oil with zinc in it to save your cam.

JTWard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Silverado
Engine Size
350 Gasoline
Thank you, I was thinking what a waste for the oil, not having run for 4 months to be drained and changed. At the next change, I use AC and or Borsh oil filters. But I'm going with Full Synthetic and a new oil filter.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Thank you, I was thinking what a waste for the oil, not having run for 4 months to be drained and changed. At the next change, I use AC and or Borsh oil filters. But I'm going with Full Synthetic and a new oil filter.

your truck doesnt have a roller cam unless you added one, make sure you are getting the right additives for the oil and you should also read up on oil filters. I didnt used to change my oil before winter as it seemed like a waste then to let it set for the winter. I just changed it in the spring.

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Education is the key, as much time and money we spend on these old trucks we don’t need to deal with blown engines, if you want to keep them running treat them to the best you can afford. Research the sites for full synthetic oil and see the results from the test they have run, on both old and new engines, the same with the additives trust the independent testing companies.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
I never waste old oil, I burn it in the summer to get rid of mosquitoes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssgmike