Offroad Marketing Part Time Kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Friend bought a new Dodge shortbox full time 4x4 in the early 80's. It would get stuck on flat wet grass, even in 4lock... which without lockers in the diffs
is 2 wheel drive, one in front and one in back. In regular 4x4 it was... one wheel drive whichever wheel was easiest to roll. POS.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
203 for sale Boise craigslist $100 ,but shipping would be a bitch!

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Friend bought a new Dodge shortbox full time 4x4 in the early 80's. It would get stuck on flat wet grass, even in 4lock... which without lockers in the diffs
is 2 wheel drive, one in front and one in back. In regular 4x4 it was... one wheel drive whichever wheel was easiest to roll. POS.

There was something not right about that truck... My 78 W200 Power Wagon was a mule. Damn close to impossible to get her stuck.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
There was something not right about that truck... My 78 W200 Power Wagon was a mule. Damn close to impossible to get her stuck.
You probably had a rear locker then, any 4x4 with open diffs is a sadly in reality still only 2 wheel drive.
Tell this to any new owner of a 4x4 with open diffs and watch argue... or cry.

dhenderz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks everyone. I was able to secure a complete 203 diff from the guys at Offroad Design. It is on the way.

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
You probably had a rear locker then, any 4x4 with open diffs is a sadly in reality still only 2 wheel drive.
Tell this to any new owner of a 4x4 with open diffs and watch argue... or cry.

IIRC it had limited slip but it's also 35 years since I laid eyes on it. That's one of Four vehicles I actually miss. My 1978 Thunderbird, My AMC Eagle AWD Wagon, and The Beast, the first car that I owned with no other names on the title, a pea Green & Woodgrain 1973 Bonneville station wagon.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
IIRC it had limited slip but it's also 35 years since I laid eyes on it. That's one of Four vehicles I actually miss. My 1978 Thunderbird, My AMC Eagle AWD Wagon, and The Beast, the first car that I owned with no other names on the title, a pea Green & Woodgrain 1973 Bonneville station wagon.
Fond memories, my dad bought a new '78 T Bird..

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
talk about a blast from the past. in the late 70's and early 80's I worked for "Off Road Supermarket" which was the retail side of "Off Road Marketing". I installed thousand's of those part time kits and taught many mechanics how to install them.

I knew both Vanzant brothers as well as their siblings. yes "Off Road Marketing" invented the kit and it was stolen by many companies including "Mile Marker". it's the main reason I still have a bad taste in my mouth for Mile Marker. the part time kit wasn't their only invention, they also had Bug Off's which was a bug screen for the front of Jeeps, they also had the rear bumper tire carrier for S-10 blazers, they also did the Wolverine conversions which converted 2wd Toyota Pickups to 4wd however that ended in 1979 when Toyota started selling 4x4 pick up's here.

I would leave it part time if it was mine. however if you are bound and determined to go back to stock, you need to remove parts 182(x2) and 180. you must source part 124 this is a needle bearing retainer and must be in place. after you install everything you must check the end play of the rear out put shaft. if I remember correctly the end play is .010-.030. the end play is set with shims between the rear output yoke and the rear bearing. the pics you posted don't show the shims, bearing, or yoke. if you need any advice ask away.

highdesertranger

dhenderz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
talk about a blast from the past. in the late 70's and early 80's I worked for "Off Road Supermarket" which was the retail side of "Off Road Marketing". I installed thousand's of those part time kits and taught many mechanics how to install them.

I knew both Vanzant brothers as well as their siblings. yes "Off Road Marketing" invented the kit and it was stolen by many companies including "Mile Marker". it's the main reason I still have a bad taste in my mouth for Mile Marker. the part time kit wasn't their only invention, they also had Bug Off's which was a bug screen for the front of Jeeps, they also had the rear bumper tire carrier for S-10 blazers, they also did the Wolverine conversions which converted 2wd Toyota Pickups to 4wd however that ended in 1979 when Toyota started selling 4x4 pick up's here.

I would leave it part time if it was mine. however if you are bound and determined to go back to stock, you need to remove parts 182(x2) and 180. you must source part 124 this is a needle bearing retainer and must be in place. after you install everything you must check the end play of the rear out put shaft. if I remember correctly the end play is .010-.030. the end play is set with shims between the rear output yoke and the rear bearing. the pics you posted don't show the shims, bearing, or yoke. if you need any advice ask away.

highdesertranger

Thanks. I recall seeing a post somewhere on the web that spoke of this IP theft. I seem to recall the post being written by either one of the brothers or someone very close to them. I can't seem to find the post anymore.

I am moving forward with converting it back to full-time, at least for a few years. I am planning a 205 conversion, but don't want to take the time right now to divert the restoration process to get into the conversion process. I am sure the original 203 will work fine for a couple years. The chain has some stretch, but it really isn't that bad.

The case still has 124 installed. Not sure if that means the person who converted it did it incorrectly or not. But it's there along with 2 of 182 and 180. So together with the full diff I have coming from Offroad Design, I should be set. I might need the shims you reference. I see those are still available (shim kit). I will get it assembled and see where I stand with end play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat